Fps drops in exteriors after some time playing

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Modinstaller

Fps drops in exteriors after some time playing

Post by Modinstaller »

When I boot up the game, exterior fps is fine for a while (was around 100-160 on my old rig with water details disabled, and around 200-600 on this rig with them enabled). When I say exterior I mean outside in the wilderness, cities or whatever, just outside.

But after playing some time, suddenly fps will be locked to a low value. It somehow happens after spending time in an interior and exiting it. When I say that the fps "locks", I mean it acts as if it was Vsync. If the fps drops to 40, it'll stay at 40 no matter what I look at, it's not like it'll fluctuate around 40 when I look at more or less crowded areas. It only locks outside, for some reason.

Restarting the game fixes the problem temporarily, but not loading.

Spending around 15 minutes inside locked it to 40 the first time. Spending 30 minutes inside after restarting locked it to 14.

Running latest stable version (0.43), monitor is 1920x1080 60hz. Mods installed are just Graphic Herbalism and Delayed DB Attack V2

I had the same problem with my old rig (I upgraded it a few days ago). I was running the same setup except for the hardware.

Previous specs :
Phenom x4 965 3.4Ghz
Radeon HD 7850 2GB
1x8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GA-78LMT-S2P

Current specs :
I5 8400 2.8Ghz, 4Ghz boost
GTX 1070 8GB
2x8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
H310M DS2

How to reproduce :
- Load outside and notice that your fps is normal (300 for me)
- Play some time, at least a few minutes, in an interior
- Exit and notice that the fps is suddenly lower and appears locked (for example 40, never going to 35 or 45)
- Restart the game to go back to normal exterior fps

Edit : reworded & updated some info

Update 1 : it seems that Delayed DB Attack V2 might be the culprit. After testing without any mod the problem did not appear, and after testing with only graphic herbalism, the problem again did not appear ... but after enabling Delayed DB Attack V2 and playing some time in an interior, fps was locked to 100 after exiting. May just be a coincidence, but I will continue playing normally without the mod and report back whether it worked or not. Really peculiar bug, though ...

Update 2 : nope - it took a few hours this time but it happened again with the mod disabled. It happened upon exiting an interior after having spent a few minutes inside.
raven

Re: Fps drops in exteriors after some time playing

Post by raven »

Maybe check profiler output?
If you are reporting a performance issue, make sure to include a screenshot of Profiling output.
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Profiling
Modinstaller

Post by Modinstaller »

Yeah sorry next time I get a drop I'll take screenshots !
Modinstaller

Post by Modinstaller »

You know what ? I kind of remember it raining every time I had a slowdown. And I do minimize the game a lot. I think that's it. I'll pay extra attention though from now on.

Edit : and I'll be sure to grab the latest version if it ends up being this.