Cannot Create file when file already exists

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Nohnj

Cannot Create file when file already exists

Post by Nohnj »

I tried to install the OpenMW mod and i definitely installed it correctly but the problem is that it keeps trying to create the openMW folder when it already exists in that location, and because of this I can't open the mod at all. I tried deleting the folder but it keeps being replaced as soon a I try to re-launch the openMW launcher, i tried uninstalling the openMW mod, and verified morrowinds game cache but nothing i can think of is working. I need help please.

Error
boost::filesystem::create_directory: Cannot create file when that file already exists: "C:\Users\twoap\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\OpenMW
scrawl

Re: Cannot Create file when file already exists

Post by scrawl »

If I had to guess, the fact that your My Games is part of OneDrive is probably causing an issue with boost::filesystem. Try moving your My Games back to its normal place.

Of course, it would be great for a developer on windows who has access to this kind of setup to get to the bottom of the issue so you wouldn't have to work around it.
Nohnj

Post by Nohnj »

I moved the my games folder out of the one drive folder and put it straight into C drive but it came up with the same error i followed it back and it recreated the my games folder in the one drive folder only this time only the openMW folder was in it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's impossible to move the My Games directory out of OneDrive without also moving the whole of the Documents directory out of OneDrive. OpenMW works out where the My Games directory is by querying the registry to find the Documents directory.

However, if there were major issues with boost::filesystem and OneDrive, I'd have expected to be able to find some mention of it via application of Google. I can't, though. Also, modern Windows version recommend that you put your documents directory in OneDrive, so I'd have expected that we'd have got more complaints about this than we actually have. I'd also have expected them not to suddenly have started appearing over the past couple of weeks, which seems to be what happened.
Veggicide

Post by Veggicide »

I had the same issue as you and had to completely disable onedrive to fix the ussue, see the nothing happens after launch thread
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 14:28 However, if there were major issues with boost::filesystem and OneDrive, I'd have expected to be able to find some mention of it via application of Google. I can't, though. Also, modern Windows version recommend that you put your documents directory in OneDrive, so I'd have expected that we'd have got more complaints about this than we actually have. I'd also have expected them not to suddenly have started appearing over the past couple of weeks, which seems to be what happened.
I suspect it's as simple as "A Windows update broke something really badly." In my time on Windows, this happened on occasion. That, combined with the registry getting wrecked and making it easier to reinstall Windows than to fix it, is why I'm now on Linux. Odds are, in my experience, M$ did something really stupid. Again.

If you want the source of the problem, I'd probably look for any screwy updates.
Nohnj

Post by Nohnj »

Problem solved i unlinked my pc from onedrive and i was able to launch the game perfectly thank for the help lads :D
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's not really what I'd call solved. Worked around, maybe, but you might be screwed if your computer dies now.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 04:47 That's not really what I'd call solved. Worked around, maybe, but you might be screwed if your computer dies now.
Hahahaha... pretty much what everyone has been doing for years now unless you had a backup drive. I still don't trust 'the cloud' with my personal stuff, and I work in the industry. The only thing that comes close to what I want is Mega, fully encrypted: end to end
raevol

Post by raevol »

Remember, the cloud is just other people's computers.