Please help me understand the game file situation

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Saamwiise

Please help me understand the game file situation

Post by Saamwiise »

So I downloaded openmw on my mac, and I have the morrowind game files on my mac as well. However, openmw cannot run them for some reason. I don’t know a lot about computers so I’m kind of struggling, but I understand that an .esm file is required for openmw to recognize that you have the game. However, the game files do not contain anything with that extension. There are .exe files and stuff, and I’m pretty confident these are indeed the game files (I went through and all the sounds, textures, etc are there) so I’m not sure what to do.
AnyOldName3

Re: Please help me understand the game file situation

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You should have a directory with stuff like Morrowind.exe, Morrowind.ini, and a Data Files subdirectory. Within the Data Files subdirectory, you should find Morrowind.esm (which contains stuff like the layout of the world), Morrowind.bsa (which contains stuff like the textures and meshes that the game needs) and some more subdirectories for things like sounds.

Hopefully, this is enough to help you know where to look.
Saamwiise

Post by Saamwiise »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 02:04 You should have a directory with stuff like Morrowind.exe, Morrowind.ini, and a Data Files subdirectory. Within the Data Files subdirectory, you should find Morrowind.esm (which contains stuff like the layout of the world), Morrowind.bsa (which contains stuff like the textures and meshes that the game needs) and some more subdirectories for things like sounds.

Hopefully, this is enough to help you know where to look.
First off, thanks for the reply! I found the Data Files subdirectory, but it only contains the folders Book Art, Icons, Meshes, and Textures. A cursory glance seemed to indicate that these do not contain what I’m looking for. Do you know of another spot they might be?
Saamwiise

Post by Saamwiise »

If it might help, the original Morrowind game file is called tes3_opcg.rar. This, when extracted, splits into 2 folders- CD1 and CD2. CD1 splits into cd1.bin and dev-mrw1.cue. CD2 splits into cd2.bin and dev-mrw2.cue. Cd2.bin is where I found the files I mentioned above.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sounds like a pirated version of the game. We can't help you with that since it's not legal. I would recommend getting a legitimate version, such as from Steam or GoG.
Saamwiise

Post by Saamwiise »

Ok thanks! I’ll do that pretty soon then