Trouble with OSG on Steroids

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
tobin

Trouble with OSG on Steroids

Post by tobin »

Hi, I'm hoping to contribute to the project but I'm having trouble building on Linux Mint. This is a snippet of the errors I'm getting when I try to make OpenMW:
Spoiler: Show
So clearly I'm doing something wrong with respect to OpenSceneGraph. I cloned the OSG on Steroids repo, created a sibling build directory to the OSG directory, changed to that directory and ran cmake (targeting the OSG dir), make, and make install. Then I deleted that build directory, created a new one, and tried running cmake targeting OpenMW. That failed, telling me that I didn't have OSG 3.4 installed. I went and installed the package from the OpenMW ppa which let cmake finish, but when I try to make I get the above errors. Any suggestions?
AnyOldName3

Re: Trouble with OSG on Steroids

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If I had to guess, I'd say you're maybe building with half OSG-on-steroids and half stock OSG. The float versions of Quaternion methods are exclusive to our fork as they're doubles in stock OSG. It looks like some things are using floats when doubles are expected.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

tobin wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 03:04make install
Indeed, looks like you have TWO OSG's installed, and you are using includes from first, libraries from second. Generally you should not use make install - it can mess up your filesystem. Next time if you really need to compile a library, make a package for your distro instead (e.g. via checkinstall).
You can try to remove files which the "make install" added (can be not easy since you removed your build directory, so you can not use "make uninstall".
tobin

Post by tobin »

Thanks you two, I didn't know checkinstall was a thing but that seems like a really cool tool!

So I took the nuclear option and reinstalled Mint as didn't have anything special on it, added the OpenMW PPA, and downloaded all the Debian dependencies except for libopenscenegraph-3.4-dev. I cloned the OSGoS repo, made a build dir in the source this time, ran cmake ../ from the build dir, then executed sudo checkinstall -D --install. Then I cloned OpenMW, made a build dir in the source, but cmake ../ fails with the following message:
Spoiler: Show
Per apt list --installed, the package I installed was installed as just 'build'. I removed the package and tried specifying the name as openescenegraph and libopenscenegraph-3.4-dev; I figured it was a long shot, and of course both of those resulted in the same error as above.

So clearly I'm still doing something wrong. Is there something I'm missing with checkinstall?