Can't hit small creatures: rats, scribs, kwama foragers, baby slaughterfish etc.

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ozo

Can't hit small creatures: rats, scribs, kwama foragers, baby slaughterfish etc.

Post by ozo »

Don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, but there seems to be an issue with the latest release of OpenMW for OSX.

For some strange reason, I'm having trouble hitting small animals like rats and scribs. It's not as if the attacks miss due to low agility or low skill levels. I know this because in case of a missed attack, the creatures would begin to attack me, however they do not seem to agro to my character at all, suggesting that the attacks do not connect at all. Furthermore I also tried to attack the creatures from lower ground (clipping through the terrain, attacking them while they are uphill), and then attacks hit or miss at regular intervals.

I tried to search for similar topics on the forums but only found an issue dating back to version 0.36 in which guards could not aim down and attack small creatures. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Should I report this to the bug tracker? Can someone direct me to a guide on how to submit the bug?

Thank you in advance!
akortunov

Re: Can't hit small creatures: rats, scribs, kwama foragers, baby slaughterfish etc.

Post by akortunov »

Last time when a user had a similar issue, he used the unstable Openscenegraph version: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3989
Thunderforge

Re: Can't hit small creatures: rats, scribs, kwama foragers, baby slaughterfish etc.

Post by Thunderforge »

There’s a user on Reddit with this same issue, and they downloaded the 0.43 executable, rather than building from source with an unstable OpenSceneGraph version.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenMW/comment ... emies_bug/
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Melee hit tests are using bullet, not OSG.

This is strange. I don't recall any changes at all regarding hit tests between 0.42 and 0.43.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Just tried myself with the 2017-01-09 nightly on macOS, but had no problem punching a scrib to death.

For those having trouble, what OS are you using?