Error running 0.11 on Mac

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ziozio

Error running 0.11 on Mac

Post by ziozio »

Hi

I get this error when running on a Mac

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/me/OpenMW/Game/OpenMW.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/usr/local/lib/libpng15.15.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Do you have an idea as to how to fix this?

Thanks

Ziozio
sirherrbatka

Re: Error running 0.11 on Mac

Post by sirherrbatka »

Corristo is mac-guy and nobody else. But can I ask what mac you are running?
ziozio

Post by ziozio »

I'm using a mac book with 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard, one before Lion)

I'm in the process of trying to build the source to see if that helps
ziozio

Post by ziozio »

Managed to get it to work via building from the source (not an easy process!!), looking forward to 0.12, 0.10 and 0.11 seem quite similar to me at the moment (cant see anything obvious from the outset).

Looks like the problem with using the pre built was the fact the person who built it has a different setup to me which will be a very common problem with so many different libraries out there

I saw you fixed a Bullet bug by having the latest version. Have you thought about distributing and linking directly to pre built third party libraries too? (Some of my libraries which you use are 64 bit versions and I had to get the source and recompile to 32 bit)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Can't comment on packaging issues, because I have no clue about Macs. I leave that to our only Mac developer (once he shows up again).

As for 0.11.0, here is a list with the changes: http://bugs.openmw.org/versions/1
Mostly backend and code maintenance stuff including a couple of bug fixes. The most visible improvement is probably the launcher. 0.12.0 will be mostly the same. We hope to get more visible improvements for 0.13.0.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Hi there,

Since 0.12 OpenMW for OS X will use CMake's Bundle Utilities for packaging, so all dependencies will be put into bundle automatically during build, so there would be no problem with unmet dependencies. It's my bad that old build were system dependent :( Didn't have enough experience in building/deploying apps on OS X.

I know it's a pain to build 32bit app if you already have it's dependencies in 64 bit.
I think we should consider building only 64 bit, because it's mainstream on OS X now. Or we may build universal binaries, but it still would require to have all dependencies built for both archs.
Also I think I should remove cmake instruction that makes OpenMW build only for 32 bit on OS X. Architecture may be configurable through CMake vars.
ziozio wrote:Have you thought about distributing and linking directly to pre built third party libraries too?
What do you mean? I'm using prebuilt Ogre SDK. I didn't found prebuilt Bullet for OS X. I didn't found prebuilt libsndfile, mpg123 for OS X. Also most of prerequisites of OpenMW can be installed through homebrew with --universal flag so OpenMW would be built & linked against them correctly. Only mpg123 hasn't universal flag for now.

It's nice that there is another OS X user here, so we can discuss & test together, so feel free to question me & argue with me.