OpenMW not working

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
LoopDbooN

OpenMW not working

Post by LoopDbooN »

So I did all I had to do, even helped my girlfriend out to install the thing, it went smoothly...

For her.

When I did the exact same things done over on her PC to mine everything seemed fine up until I clicked the "play" button. It sent me to the console, it seemingly opened the game and then I was met with an error window that stated the following:

filesystem::recursive_directory_iterator directory error: Access denied

She got her MW from GOG while I have the version from the collector edition from a few years ago, which meant I installed the game from CD. Might this difference be the problem?

If you know anything please let me know, thanks!

P.S: sorry for clunky english, I'm an Italian spaghetti, don't speak-a-inglish-a.
drummyfish

Re: OpenMW not working

Post by drummyfish »

What's your operating system? If Linux, try run with sudo (on Windows it's "run as administrator" or something). Also do you know how to run the game from console? If you do, you should be able to see which file it fails to load there.
LoopDbooN

Post by LoopDbooN »

Oh, right, sorry. I'm running this on Windows 10. I already tried to run it as administrator but it didn't seem to affect it at all... Unfortunately I don't know how to run a game from console, however the game DOES show a console when it opens, not sure if it'll help but I'll leave a screenshot here, just in case.

https://i.imgur.com/6Y0DkPQ.png
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Thanks, I don't have Windows 10 so I can't test this, but I've found that changing ownership of the folder might help, try it out on the folder (D:\Morrowind\Data files) - if it keeps failing, check in the console if it's still on the same folder. (Also there was a bug in the Boost library the game is using causing this error, but I suppose that's not the case as it should have been fixed 3 years ago.)
LoopDbooN

Post by LoopDbooN »

Allright, believe it or not, re-installing everything from scratch worked, not that I didn't try! I wouldn't have asked here otherwise. I'll explain:

This PC was made by a friend. He put 3 different HDs in it, one for games, one for programs, the other for systems. I put OpenMW on a different HD than Morrowind. That, for some reason, apparently created this "access" problem? I managed to fix it.

In any case, thanks a lot for your time and sorry for not trying this sooner.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

No problem, glad it works now, it's good to have this solution posted here for people whom google may bring here in the future.