Windows x64 build runs fine in release but crashes in debug, pic of debugger attached.

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
mattwla

Windows x64 build runs fine in release but crashes in debug, pic of debugger attached.

Post by mattwla »

A picture is worth a thousand words so I have uploaded a screenshot of the relevant VS debugger screen.

https://imgur.com/a/epRFU

The error I get on crash is:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception thrown: read access violation.

_Parent_proxy was 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF7.
crash happens when I try to load a game, main menu runs fine.

Should mRecords really be THAT massive? Am I looking at a memory leak here? I've been tweaking all sorts of stuff for fun (have added new AI packages and re worked the dialogue system), so I can't expect anyone here to pinpoint my issue but I would really appreciate a point in the right direction.

Also, when I complile OpenMW I get these warnings

Code: Select all

8>C:\openmw-dev\Greylock\openmw\apps\openmw\mwworld\worldimp.cpp(3486): warning C4315: 'ESM::Header': 'this' pointer for member 'ESM::Header::mSCRD' may not be aligned 8 as expected by the constructor
8>  C:\openmw-dev\Greylock\openmw\apps\openmw\mwworld\worldimp.cpp(3486): note: This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function 'ESM::Header::Header(ESM::Header &&)'
8>C:\openmw-dev\Greylock\openmw\apps\openmw\mwworld\worldimp.cpp(3486): warning C4315: 'ESM::Header': 'this' pointer for member 'ESM::Header::mSCRS' may not be aligned 8 as expected by the constructor
8>  C:\openmw-dev\Greylock\openmw\apps\openmw\mwworld\worldimp.cpp(3486): note: This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function 'ESM::Header::Header(ESM::Header &&)'
8>C:\openmw-dev\Greylock\openmw\apps\openmw\mwworld\worldimp.cpp(3486): warning C4315: 'ESM::Header': 'this' pointer for member 'ESM::Header::mMaster' may not be aligned 8 as expected by the constructor
I have been ignoring them for a while with no harm, maybe they have come back to bite me?

Thanks for any thoughts!
AnyOldName3

Re: Windows x64 build runs fine in release but crashes in debug, pic of debugger attached.

Post by AnyOldName3 »

2.5 trillion sounds like a lot of records to me, so I'd work under the assumption that that is not supposed to be that big. You're talking multiple terabytes of data, no matter what it is at that point.

I'm not sure the warnings are relevant here, though, as I'm pretty sure I've seen them when building the master branch.
mattwla

Re: Windows x64 build runs fine in release but crashes in debug, pic of debugger attached.

Post by mattwla »

Thanks, good to know that the warnings might be a red herring.

Are records things being read from the esm and esps or is it data being loaded from the save? Or is it something else entirely?

As for the trillions of records... any idea what could cause that? I'm assuming there aren't actually trillions of records, but the record location in memory is getting over written which is causing screwy readings. However I am new at C++ so I don't actually know if what I described is possible, or if it is possibly relevant here.

Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks,