Trying To Add Additional Level Up Messages; Default Level Up Message continues being used

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Balmoraishome

Trying To Add Additional Level Up Messages; Default Level Up Message continues being used

Post by Balmoraishome »

So I'm trying to add some more Level Up messages to my game.

The way I've been doing this is by opening openmw.cfg, and adding the required lines like so:
fallback=Level_Up_LevelX,"MESSAGE HERE"
Where X is obviously the number of the level, and MESSAGE HERE the level up message I want to add.

But it won't work, and I'm not entirely sure why. Seems pretty straightforward, yet everytime I level up past level 20, the default message (The results of hard work and dedication always look like luck to saps. But you know you've earned every ounce of your success.) keeps showing up.

BUT if I edit the default message, it shows up in-game. So I don't know how to fix this.... But I would very much appreciate some help.

Am I doing something wrong?
AnyOldName3

Re: Trying To Add Additional Level Up Messages; Default Level Up Message continues being used

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm pretty sure that the original engine only supported level up messages up to twenty, and they were hard coded - the engine wasn't concatenating 'Level_Up_Level' with the current level and looking for that, but instead checking for a level and then using a preassembled string (using the one for twenty if the level was higher than that). OpenMW has to replicate this behaviour, and nothing more, so it's not going to look for settings that don't exist.
Balmoraishome

Re: Trying To Add Additional Level Up Messages; Default Level Up Message continues being used

Post by Balmoraishome »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 19:10 I'm pretty sure that the original engine only supported level up messages up to twenty, and they were hard coded - the engine wasn't concatenating 'Level_Up_Level' with the current level and looking for that, but instead checking for a level and then using a preassembled string (using the one for twenty if the level was higher than that). OpenMW has to replicate this behaviour, and nothing more, so it's not going to look for settings that don't exist.
Thank you for your reply!

Ah ok, I understand. But it seemed to work with the original Morrowind if you edited the INI file!

See, I'm trying to use the mod Level Up Messages 20-75 http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43431/?, and it works there by editing the INI file. So I (wrongly) assumed it was the same in OpenMW, except you edit the openmw.cfg file.

OpenMW has to replicate this behaviour, and nothing more, so it's not going to look for settings that don't exist.
Is there anyway to go around this in OpenMW? Edit the settings.cfg file maybe?
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Is there anyway to go around this in OpenMW?
No. OpenMW strictly uses Level_Up_Default for all levels > 20.
Feel free to create a bugreport, if an original game behaves in a different way.

A suggestion: try to use Level_Up_LevelX for a current level, and use Level_Up_Default, if that string was not found (if getFallbackString() returned an empty string).
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

akortunov wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 19:36
Is there anyway to go around this in OpenMW?
No. OpenMW strictly uses Level_Up_Default for all levels > 20.
Feel free to create a bugreport, if an original game behaves in a different way.
Thanks for the reply! OK, I'll submit a bug report and see what they say. Any idea what my title should be? "OpenMW treats Level-Up Messages differently than in Vanilla Morrowind"?
A suggestion: try to use Level_Up_LevelX for a current level, and use Level_Up_Default, if that string was not found (if getFallbackString() returned an empty string).
Thanks for the suggestion - but I can't quite figure out what you mean, sorry... Are you saying I should try using Level_Up_LevelX INSTEAD of a set level number?
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

FYI: I created a pull request to fix this issue.

If this PR will be accepted, just use fallback=Level_Up_LevelX,"MESSAGE HERE", Level_Up_Level21, for example.
If there is no such string (e.g. for 76 level), fallback=Level_Up_Default will be used instead.
"OpenMW treats Level-Up Messages differently than in Vanilla Morrowind"?
Or "OpenMW does not allow to add levelup messages for levels > 20".
In the description you can add a link to download LUM mod.
Balmoraishome

Post by Balmoraishome »

akortunov wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 19:57 FYI: I created a pull request to fix this issue.

If this PR will be accepted, just use fallback=Level_Up_LevelX,"MESSAGE HERE", Level_Up_Level21, for example.
If there is no such string (e.g. for 76 level), fallback=Level_Up_Default will be used instead.
"OpenMW treats Level-Up Messages differently than in Vanilla Morrowind"?
Or "OpenMW does not allow to add levelup messages for levels > 20".
In the description you can add a link to download LUM mod.
OK thank you very much for your help, much appreciated! I will work on that bug report.