Need Help Setting Up a Windows Development Environment

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
raisthewolf

Need Help Setting Up a Windows Development Environment

Post by raisthewolf »

I've been trying for a week or so now to set up a working development environment on my windows machine to tweak some things for a personal build and maybe help as a developer for the project. I have a Windows 10 64 bit machine with Visual Studio 2017 Community. I've been trying to set up the dependencies using the CI/before_script.msvc.sh script, but I've been getting a whole host of errors.
First and foremost, I tend to get the attached error message when extracting boost. I've read that this can be fixed by enabling long addresses in the registry, which I have done, but I still get this error. If I ignore that error, I get "Bullet 2.86... mv: cannot move 'Bullet-2.86-msvc2015-win64' to 'Bullet': Permission denied" when extracting Bullet. 7zip and Git are both in my path, as well.
I was hoping someone might have some tips on how to get a working project on Windows. I would download the dependencies manually, but that section of the wiki is out of date. I've seen that I need VS 2015 Community on the forum but that VS 2017 works on the comments on Github, so I'm unsure as to whether or not that is causing problems, and I would prefer to only switch to VS 2015 if I have to as I can only have one installed at a time. I appreciate any help that can be offered.
Attachments
error.PNG
AnyOldName3

Re: Need Help Setting Up a Windows Development Environment

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What bash are you using to run the shell script? For example, you could be getting it from Git, from Cygwin or from Windows Subsystem for Linux. Only the one from Git will actually work, as the others are either pretending to be Unix or are actually Unix.

What arguments are you calling the script with? The defaults aren't necessarily the best.

Have you tried putting the OpenMW folder somewhere closer to the system root? The path in that error message looks pretty long, and sometimes certain tools don't work well with file paths over a certain length.
raisthewolf

Re: Need Help Setting Up a Windows Development Environment

Post by raisthewolf »

I am running bash through git for windows, so that shouldn't be the problem. I took your advice about moving the directory closer to root, and it worked beautifully, thank you. However, now I am getting different errors.

Here is what I get when I first clone the repo and run the script (as well as my arguments):
Attempt1.PNG
After that message, I change the permisions on the deps folder in openmw/MSVC2017_64
ChangePerms.PNG
When I run it again, I get farther, but I don't finish.
Attempt2.PNG
I have tried running git bash as an administrator, but I still can't get past OSG. On a few other attempts, some on another machine, the script will get to a state "Configuring..." and just complete. Is that a successful run? I'm still a bit fuzzy on what exactly it generates.