[SOLVED] Mod : "content file does not exist"

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AnyOldName3

Re: [SOLVED] Mod : "content file does not exist"

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I've done some investigation, and can't reproduce this issue under Windows or Ubuntu. We need a dev with a Mac to investigate further, or at least another user with a Mac to verify this and create an issue report.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I reproduced this on my MacOS. Some googling "macos file path encoding" hints that MacOS is not 100% UTF-8 but uses some custom encoding. I have seen many post for similar issues for Python or Ruby. :x

But there's on thing that puzzles me I tried a mod with "ê" in the filename and failed, but in the openmw.cfg I saw a mod with that in the name. does this also fail?
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

It's possible that some mods with special characters like that could work fine but I'm sure the one that had this alert had "é" and "ï" in it. Now I changed them all to basic letters and I don't encounter this problem anymore.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

They're supposed to work regardless of what characters are in the file names as long as they're valid Unicode. It's only because of a bug that it's not working properly on OSX (we might be supposed to call it macOS now). Under Windows and Linux, not only are you allowed accented characters, but also the full set of emoji. While you found a workaround, it's still best if someone fixes it properly. Unfortunately, that can't be me as I don't have a Mac.