Can't run openmw-launcher.exe Win10

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Cramal

Re: Can't run openmw-launcher.exe Win10

Post by Cramal »

I just tried to make a clean install of Open-mw 0.42 release on windows 10 and had no problem

Some anti-virus are blocking open-mw executables because they don't know them.

Please check that something similar is not happening with you
Kire

Post by Kire »

I've disabled all of my antivirus software, no luck.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Kire wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 21:47 I've disabled all of my antivirus software, no luck.
Could it be that something failed during installation?
Have you tried to uninstall and re-install without any anti-virus?
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I checked thru the post but I did find this answered, so I will ask it again slightly different:
Naugrim wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 23:14 In those case when I can't run a binary, I try to run the exe from the shell to see if something happens
did you try running the executable from the command line/shell? open a terminal/shell and cd to the directory and then just type the filename (openmw.exe)
Asking this because it may output something of use.

ST the (hopefully) of use
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Kire and Frik exchanged some posts about promp execution but it is not clear to me what was the result.

@Kire, what I would do is:
1. Locate the installation folder: check "properties" of the launch menu or look for the .exe.
2. Open a command prompt as explained by Frik. Type "cd ABSOLUTE PATH".
Note that if you installed in another drive, you need to change the drive typing the drive letter followed by ".". For example "H:" to go to H drive.
3. Type the exe name in the promp and see what happens.

Also, once located the directory, if you can run a "dir" command and share the output here. This will print the list of files in the installation folder.
It's not uncommon that some security-suits/antivirus block some dll but install the rest and then programs fail abruptly.
Kire

Post by Kire »

Naugrim wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 07:00 Kire and Frik exchanged some posts about promp execution but it is not clear to me what was the result.

@Kire, what I would do is:
1. Locate the installation folder: check "properties" of the launch menu or look for the .exe.
2. Open a command prompt as explained by Frik. Type "cd ABSOLUTE PATH".
Note that if you installed in another drive, you need to change the drive typing the drive letter followed by ".". For example "H:" to go to H drive.
3. Type the exe name in the promp and see what happens.

Also, once located the directory, if you can run a "dir" command and share the output here. This will print the list of files in the installation folder.
It's not uncommon that some security-suits/antivirus block some dll but install the rest and then programs fail abruptly.
I disabled the antivirus and did a reinstall. Didn't seem to do anything.

Here's the output: http://puu.sh/x7kZa/fa4e1778b1.png
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

silentthief

Post by silentthief »

The path shown in the directory shows "C:\Program Files\openmw"

(disclaimer -- I am not familiar with windows 10 however hopefully this may still be useful)
Windows vista/7 (and I think win 8) locks down program execution in C:\Program Files\ with UAC. It seemed to work just fine if you installed programs outside of this file location

Does this work if you set this up @ somewhere outside of program files? something like C:\My-installs ??

ST
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If there's a UAC issue (which there really shouldn't be if OpenMW's working properly) it'll go away if the program's started as an administrator (right click, run as admin)
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

Kire wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 10:45 Here's the output: http://puu.sh/x7kZa/fa4e1778b1.png
I compared the files list and size with mine and they are all the same.