Cannot Open Console

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Starker

Cannot Open Console

Post by Starker »

I cannot open the console with the "F1" key or any other. When I try, nothing happens.
DestinedToDie

Re: Cannot Open Console

Post by DestinedToDie »

Try the ~ key, it's left from 1 on most keyboards.
Starker

Post by Starker »

DestinedToDie wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 06:25 Try the ~ key, it's left from 1 on most keyboards.
As I stated in my original post, I tried all the keys including the "F1" key.
SmartGuar

Post by SmartGuar »

Starker wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 08:35 As I stated in my original post, I tried all the keys including the "F1" key.
It may be your OS that's causing this. Why don't you just change the key binding for the console? That's one of the advantages of OpenMW. (Why did you assume that you need to press the "F1" key? A bit confusing.)
Starker

Post by Starker »

SmartGuar wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 09:03 It may be your OS that's causing this. Why don't you just change the key binding for the console? That's one of the advantages of OpenMW. (Why did you assume that you need to press the "F1" key? A bit confusing.)
I read that "F1" was the default here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=525

"~" opens the console in vanilla Morrowind. I don't know how to change the keybinding to open the console in Open MW and a search yielded nothing.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Given the fact that your previous question was related to tes3mp, I'm going to assume this one is as well, and therefore the reason your console doesn't work is probably that your server has it disabled for your player.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

If the questions is related to TES3mp then:
- type `y` to enable the chat window. That's in case you want to type admin or moderator commands. Things like /time, or /tp.
- To open the normal MW console with top-left key as always, your character needs to have special permissions enabled. Either you activate it modifying the character JSON file (inside the `players` directory) or get it enabled by an admin (it will persist). For more info: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/mwmul ... 388999187/
Note that if you'r admin, you still need to enable the console for yourself.
SmartGuar

Post by SmartGuar »

Starker wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 09:15I read that "F1" was the default here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=525

"~" opens the console in vanilla Morrowind. I don't know how to change the keybinding to open the console in Open MW and a search yielded nothing.
Nice that you tried to look these things up, but that thread is very old. I'm sure that OpenMW has adopted vanilla Morrowind's standard key years ago.

As the others have stated: If you're on Tes3MP, we can't help you with that. You'd have to look for a server that allows you to use the console, ask for the permission to use the console or make your own server.

In OpenMW, you can change all keybindings in-game in the settings menu.