Fixing the "Fury" Glitch

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
VladTubaka

Fixing the "Fury" Glitch

Post by VladTubaka »

First time posting, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I searched through the forum to find this subject and failed to find it if it has been covered. There is a well known glitch in the unpatched version of Morrowind where the enchanted longsword "Fury" damages your armor skills in a way that cannot be recovered. In later patches and in the GOTY version of the game, this was fixed in two ways: the enchantments on "Fury" were changed to "Drain" skill from the original "Damage" skill, and altars and Tribunal shrines were given the ability to restore skills rather than just attributes. I have installed Morrowind from game files drawn from the Steam version (with expansions, loading in the correct order). If I play the vanilla game via Steam (using Wine - my OS is Linux Mint), these fixes are present. But in OpenMW, they are not, meaning I have no way to undo the damage done when I stupidly equipped Fury. Why is this? Many thanks in advance for any insight here.
DestinedToDie

Re: Fixing the "Fury" Glitch

Post by DestinedToDie »

The fix is in the game files. Not the game engine (OpenMW). OpenMW does not have a bug concerning Fury. I have personally worn Fury in OpenMW and there is no bug unless you are using unfixed .esm file. There's nothing for OpenMW to fix here.
VladTubaka

Re: Fixing the "Fury" Glitch

Post by VladTubaka »

I see now what my problem was. I had originally installed from a CD, but later I reinstalled from the Steam GOTY edition. However, even though I pointed OpenMW toward the new Morrowind.esm file, it retained the old .esm file in the OpenMW folder and used that instead. I removed that Morrowind.esm file from the folder, started it up, and problem solved.