More in depth install directions

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
TatharLiessul

More in depth install directions

Post by TatharLiessul »

I'm not all that backend computer savvy and I'm having difficulty getting the steam version of Morrowind to download to my mac. I'm following the directions posted on the site and I'm in the steamapps folder. I'm confused as to what kind of file I should use to name "appmanifest_22320.acf" and paste "AppState" { "AppID" "22320" "Universe" "1" "StateFlags" "1026" } into. I assumed a texedit file would work fine, but it's not doing it for me. I'm sure the answer is pretty obvious, but I have no idea haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
silentthief

Re: More in depth install directions

Post by silentthief »

You may be having issues with the "smart" Mac text editor changing quotes on you. More information on this here --> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4030

Take a look, there have been issues with simple text before that have been identified in that thread.

ST

PS, if that doesn't work, maybe one of the users/devs which work w/ Macs can help
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

If you are using TextEdit, you can turn off smart quotes by going to the menu bar and going to Edit -> Substitutions -> Smart Quotes (it is on if there is a check mark next to it). I also recommend that first you go to Format -> Make Plain Text.
TatharLiessul

Post by TatharLiessul »

Thanks for the replies guys. It seemed promising, but unfortunately it's still not doing the trick. Any other thoughts?
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I wrote a small guide some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3285&p=36598&hilit=22320#p36598.
See if it helps, and doucble-check the smart quotes.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

To be clear, Morrowind is not downloading when you launch Steam, correct? I assume you have actually bought Morrowind (since you obviously can't download it without paying for it)? Also, maybe you could attach the file to a forum post?
TatharLiessul

Post by TatharLiessul »

Correct, I own the GOTY edition through steam, but it won't download. Attached is the file.
Attachments
appmanifest_22320.acf.txt
(65 Bytes) Downloaded 138 times
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Ah, so here's the problem. You'll notice that the forum is displaying your attachment as "appmanifest_22320.acf.txt". I bet that if you look on macOS, it just shows it as "appmanifest_22320.acf". Basically, macOS is helpfully hiding the ".txt" extension from you, and Steam is not recognizing your file because it doesn't end in ".acf".

Try this: right-click on the file and choose "Get Info". That will bring up a window providing information about the file. Uncheck "Hide Extension", then rename the file by removing the ".txt". After that, macOS will warn you about the file becoming potentially unreadable (since it's not sure how to handle a .acf file), but click past it. Then Steam should find it.
TatharLiessul

Post by TatharLiessul »

Cool, good catch! That was definitely wrong, unfortunately steam is still saying invalid platform whenever I try to download it so there must be something else too :/
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

If you look at the source for the Wiki instructions, you'll note that it displays it like this:

Code: Select all

"AppState"
{
"AppID" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"StateFlags" "1026"
}
Try putting that into the file. It could be that the Wiki needs to be edited to preserve those line breaks, rather than collapsing them into one line.