Mac Visual Issues

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Tract

Mac Visual Issues

Post by Tract »

On Mac, there is no Gamma Correction slider in the settings, but there is one on Windows 7. It is important because when its dark, I literally cannot see. Light sources like candles are basically useless and literally provide zero light.

Also, on Mac, my log shows this having multiple appearances. Could this be related?

Unhandled controller NiPathController on node 72 in meshes/e/magic_hit_rest.nif
Unhandled controller NiPathController on node 83 in meshes/e/magic_hit_rest.nif
Unhandled controller NiPathController on node 91 in meshes/e/magic_hit_rest.nif

What does this mean?
Thunderforge

Re: Mac Visual Issues

Post by Thunderforge »

Are you running 0.41.0 or one of the nightly builds?
Tract

Post by Tract »

.41, zero mods, but I do have both Bloodmoon and Tribunal.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

I don't have one on Linux either, I tought it was not implemented in OpenMW but it looks like it's a bug? Or is it supposed to be a Windows-only feature?

Using OpenMW 0.41.0 from the PPA on Ubuntu GNOME 17.04.
Starsheep

Post by Starsheep »

bumping this.

No gamma slider in the video settings on the mac os version.

The only way to change the gamma is system wide through monitor calibration and the generation of an icc profile.

Is there a way on mac os to set gamma specifically for an application? At the moment, the game is rendered really dark on mac os, making it barely playable at night or in dungeons. (way darker than on windows with the same settings, both screens are calibrated),
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

One brute force method is probably a post-process gamma effect/shader. This would work across platforms and can be done in-game... but it's heavier than just telling your GPU or monitor directly to lighten up (pun intended).
Chris

Post by Chris »

To be clear, "gamma" is the output voltage control of your monitor or television. It's the non-linear response curve of the display's intensity. Images are given an inverse gamma so that it can be passed directly to the screen, where the curves cancel out and the image displays correctly. Changing the gamma changes the response curve, it's not a brightness control.

As psi29a said, per-window gamma correction can be simulated using a post-process shader, but it's supposed to be a global display setting. It's a setting that applies to the whole of your specific monitor's output and viewing conditions, not other peoples' (e.g. screenshots shown to other people; the screenshots you make should have the same inverse gamma curve regardless of the gamma setting).
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It might be nice to have configurable tone mapping post-process shaders, though, and not call them Gamma.
Starsheep

Post by Starsheep »

yeah, the word "gamma" has been mis-used for quite a while. I was referring to some kind of luminosity slider, even though as AnyOldName3 said, tone mapping would be more appropriate than a simple brightness adjustment

In the meantime, I'm wondering why I'm having such a difference between the two systems/monitors. I only have access to the mac right now, I'll look into it when I'm back on my desktop rig.

As psi suggested, I did a bit of a workaround in the fragment shaders, with more or less... results. But tbh if GLSL was an ashlander tribe, I'd need to figure out a thoughtful gift so that i can do well with it.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Very late to the party. Currently having Same issues trying to switch from Windows (working properly) to Mac Sierra. Mac is so dark it's unplayable. Same hardware, windows is actually running in boot camp. Would really love to run on pure Mac. Is the gamma correction something that might be found in nightly builds or is there some third party utility I could use to provide the needed gamma control? Please let me know what options there are besides staying on Windows