Can't launch OpenMW via desktop launcher. [SOLVED]

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Elderking1986

Can't launch OpenMW via desktop launcher. [SOLVED]

Post by Elderking1986 »

After I built OpenMW I noticed that there was a "openmw.desktop" file it it which is a desktop launcher for OpenMW correct?
Well, I moved it into my Desktop folder so it'll appear on my desktop, set the permission to execute, and set the path to the openmw-launcher binary. But for some reason it just will not launch it. I keep getting a pop-up box saying "There was an error launching the application" and thats it. It doesn't say anything else.

Does anyone know how to get the desktop launcher working?

Thanks.

I'm running Debian 8.7 64-bit with the Gnome3 DE.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I can launch openmw-launcher from the terminal just fine.
Last edited by Elderking1986 on 16 Feb 2017, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Re: Can't launch OpenMW via desktop launcher.

Post by scrawl »

That will only work if you've installed OpenMW system-wide.
Elderking1986

Post by Elderking1986 »

Ah ok. I'll just launch it through the terminal then.

I do have one more issue though. Its about the construction set, openmw-cs. I can't launch it, when I try to launch it via terminal I get this error: "ERROR: No default settings file found! Make sure the file "openmw-cs.cfg" was properly installed." and I checked and openmw-cs.cfg is there but for some reason its empty when it probably shouldn't be. Anyone know how to get a working openmw-cs.cfg file? I looked through the source and build directories but didn't see anything. Seems odd.
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

The openmw-cs.cfg file should contain something like

Code: Select all

# This is the OpenMW user 'settings.cfg' file.  This file only contains
# explicitly changed settings.  If you would like to revert a setting
# to its default, simply remove it from this file.  For available
# settings, see the file 'settings-default.cfg' or the documentation at:
#
#   https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Settings

[Windows]
default-height = 1000
default-width = 1800

[Records]
type-format = Text Only

[Scripts]
colour-keyword = #e80000
colour-name = #686868

[Tooltips]
scene-delay = 1000
Elderking1986

Post by Elderking1986 »

weedfreak wrote:The openmw-cs.cfg file should contain something like

# This is the OpenMW user 'settings.cfg' file.  This file only contains
# explicitly changed settings.  If you would like to revert a setting
# to its default, simply remove it from this file.  For available
# settings, see the file 'settings-default.cfg' or the documentation at:
#
#   https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Settings

[Windows]
default-height = 1000
default-width = 1800

[Records]
type-format = Text Only

[Scripts]
colour-keyword = #e80000
colour-name = #686868

[Tooltips]
scene-delay = 1000
This is odd. I copied and pasted that into the openmw-cs.cfg file and tried to run it but it gave me the same error as before. It's like its not finding it even though they're both in the same directory. Is there a command-line argument that I can use to point openmw-cs to its config file?

EDIT: I noticed that openmw put its config files in ~/.config/openmw so I copied openmw-cs.cfg into that directory to see if it'll work and nope. Still wouldn't launch.
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

You should have several config and log files in ~/.config/openmw and the config files should have been created on first run, it seems something did not work correctly with your install. There should be a desktop file for openmw-cs as well, does that give you any clues?
Elderking1986

Post by Elderking1986 »

weedfreak wrote:You should have several config and log files in ~/.config/openmw and the config files should have been created on first run, it seems something did not work correctly with your install. There should be a desktop file for openmw-cs as well, does that give you any clues?
Yeah, there are several config files and log files in ~/.config/opemmw and there is a desktop file for openmw-cs and that won't launch it either.

I can run openmw-launcher and opemmw just fine. Literally only thing I can't run is openmw-cs. That's what complains about the missing cinfig file. Is it because I'm running it from the ~/opemmw/build directory instead of installing it system wide? I can't see how though since everything else runs without issue.
Frik

Post by Frik »

Elderking1986 wrote:I can run openmw-launcher and opemmw just fine. Literally only thing I can't run is openmw-cs.
I had the same issue and was able to launch it with a shell script.

#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=`pwd`
cd /full_path_to_build_folder
./openmw-cs
Replace full_path_to_build_folder with your actual path. Save as .sh, then create a launcher to the .sh file. Hopefully, this will work for you, as well,
Elderking1986

Post by Elderking1986 »

Frik wrote:
Elderking1986 wrote:I can run openmw-launcher and opemmw just fine. Literally only thing I can't run is openmw-cs.

#!/bin/sh

./openmw-cs
Replace full_path_to_build_folder with your actual path. Save as .sh, then create a launcher to the .sh file. Hopefully, this will work for you, as well,

Thanks! That worked perfect. I had no idea about having to set the paths and start openmw-cs with sh. I couldn't find anything about it on Google or the wiki. Now I just gotta learn how to use it to make mods. I gotta start off small though.

Anyway, thanks. I appreciate it.
slartt23

Post by slartt23 »

Frik wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 09:46

#!/bin/sh

./openmw-cs
Frik you legend this is how i got it to work