Help a moron get his controller working

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
RancidSumo

Help a moron get his controller working

Post by RancidSumo »

I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to coding/anything more advanced than just using a computer so I don't even know where to start here. I've read that OpenMW supports Xbox controllers but I'm having no luck getting mine to work on my Mac.

I haven't tried very many things since I just don't know what to do. I've downloaded a driver for the controller (360Controller). When plugged in, all of the test buttons work. What do I need to do from there to actually get it to work in OpenMW?

Thanks for any help you all can offer. So far, I'm loving being able to play an old favorite once again.
augustt

Re: Help a moron get his controller working

Post by augustt »

In my limited experience with OpenMW on Linux and Windows, it just works. Not sure what you need to to on Mac specifically.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

As far as I know, controller support on OS X has been broken by some recent change in SDL, but corristo made a new build that's supposed to fix this. Could you test? Link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3976&p=45425#p45425
RancidSumo

Post by RancidSumo »

scrawl wrote:As far as I know, controller support on OS X has been broken by some recent change in SDL, but corristo made a new build that's supposed to fix this. Could you test? Link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3976&p=45425#p45425
I downloaded the link and opened the new version of OpenMW. Still nothing.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Moved to Support.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I don't have any issues with mine and OpenMW 0.41. I also use 360Controller, just updated to the last version from here https://github.com/360Controller/360Controller/releases.
I tried plugin and unplugin the controller while ingame and it always works fine.
Have you tried going into the controls configuration in the game and attempted to remap the controller options?

EDIT:
PS: I use it with OpenEmu also. By chance, can you test it with it ?
TralerTreshGames

Post by TralerTreshGames »

I'm trying to get my 360 controller working with no luck as well. Running openmw on a mac. Controller lights up. Buttons respond in the driver app under system. Nothing in openmw. Try to remap controller within game and nothing either. Did the unplug and plug back in and that didn't help.

Was there any fixes?
TralerTreshGames

Post by TralerTreshGames »

just tried with a xbox one controller with no luck either
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I can confirm that my Xbox 360 pad is not working with OpenMW 0.42, so maybe something got broken in the las release.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

We have Bug #3964 XBox One controller not functional on a Mac, which involves connecting over Bluetooth via Apple's built in drivers. So it's not necessarily an issue with 360Controller.