Many Pink Textures

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
LoopZoop

Many Pink Textures

Post by LoopZoop »

I've had this issue before, with missing or mismatched textures, and then what I assume is a pink default texture.

How can I repair these? I saw one post on here about opening the TGA files with GIMP and resaving the textures. Will that actually work, or is there a better means to get the right files located?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Many Pink Textures

Post by psi29a »

It means you're video driver doesn't support s3tc. Fix this, then you'll see the textures.
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

I have a geforce GTX 850M, and is there a guide to fix this issue?

I looked up this on the wiki and it says missing S3TC support will result in white textures. Is there a particular reason it is pink vs white?

Thanks

EDIT: So I went in to the nvidia Control panel and the nearest thing I could find to an Enable S3TC support was setting the Texture Filtering to Performance, which will apparently enable texture compression. Does that sound right?
Frik

Post by Frik »

Afaik, nVidia drivers support texture compression directly, without the need for additional drivers..

You mentioned that you see pink textures if they are missing. I've had this issue, as well, recently with a sword mod where the textures/meshes needed to be in specific folders. You can check your openmw.log file to see if this might be your problem. I've also noticed this can occur when openmw doesn't support some feature, for example, "Windows Glow".

Is there a specific mod where you are seeing this problem?
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time identifying which one is causing the errors.

Right now, the Common robe is pink, as is a few landscape textures interspersed over Tamriel rebuilt. The issue is I can't click on the ground and type in "ori" to find out which mod might be causing the problem.

But I'm guessing it's a .tga file or even a speculative/normal mapping in particular, because I had this issue before with a normal mapped armor mod.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Reason I say this is because on a RPi, I get pink textures because the VC4 driver doesn't support S3TC. After uncompressing them, they worked just fine.

It could be another issue entirely though.
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

psi29a wrote:Reason I say this is because on a RPi, I get pink textures because the VC4 driver doesn't support S3TC. After uncompressing them, they worked just fine.

It could be another issue entirely though.
I see, thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking it has to be an error with the texture patching or file name.

Also, maybe unrelated, I'm getting a recurring

Code: Select all

CopyrightVisitorWarning: node has multiple parents

Or something like that, that can cause crashes. What is this?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Also, maybe unrelated, I'm getting a recurring
CopyrightVisitorWarning: node has multiple parents
Or something like that, that can cause crashes. What is this?
Copyright warning? Did you pirate the game? :D (Just kidding, the warning should say CopyRigVisitor)

Definitely an engine bug, but I'd need to create it on my end to be able to fix it. Could you try to narrow down which mod is causing this?

Regarding the pink texture issue, paste the openmw.log and it will say exactly what texture is missing/failed loading and why.
LoopZoop

Post by LoopZoop »

Copyright warning? Did you pirate the game? :D (Just kidding, the warning should say CopyRigVisitor)

Definitely an engine bug, but I'd need to create it on my end to be able to fix it. Could you try to narrow down which mod is causing this?

Regarding the pink texture issue, paste the openmw.log and it will say exactly what texture is missing/failed loading and why.
Haha, that's what I meant, knew I was close.

Ok, here's the missing robe info

Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_c_nec_robe_bottom.dds' not found
Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_c_nec_robe_detail.dds' not found
Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_c_nec_robe_top.dds' not found
EDIT[\B] So I unpacked the BSA for TR_Data, and manually dropped in these files, but it still shows up as pink in-game. I managed to fix some ground textures using this method however. I'm going to try and drop the files in "textures/c" and see if that makes a difference

Here's the ground

Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_alm_street2.dds' not found

And on top of this, my game can't seem to find any animation idles. I'd post the log, but it's huge, so I'll just do a part,

Animation idle2 not found for tr_act_banner_aralor01_refu
But concerning the node error, it hasn't occurred recently, after I removed quite a few unused mods. I'm not sure exactly what it might be the biggest one was Skyrim Home of the Nords

It popped up again, this time when traveling to Sailen in TR, I have no clue the context however

Loading cell 36, -14
Loading cell 37, -18
CopyRigVisitor warning: node has multiple parents
Loading cell 37, -17
Loading cell 37, -16
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Just to confirm some things:
LoopZoop wrote: Ok, here's the missing robe info

Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_c_nec_robe_bottom.dds' not found
Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_c_nec_robe_detail.dds' not found
Failed to open image: Resource 'textures/tr_c_nec_robe_top.dds' not found
Frik wrote:Afaik, nVidia drivers support texture compression directly, without the need for additional drivers..

Yes, but from what I have heard the linux Nvidia drivers may be a little... wonky. Are you on a Linux machine? IIRC Mac and of course Windows should be using the proprietary drivers.

Also regarding Linux, and IIRC Mac:
Frik wrote:You mentioned that you see pink textures if they are missing. I've had this issue, as well, recently with a sword mod where the textures/meshes needed to be in specific folders. You can check your openmw.log file to see if this might be your problem.
Are the files in the proper folder location, is the folder location typed out properly in the openmw.cfg (Worth verifying, we recently had an issue where the Mac text editor was changing the quoting on a file path here --> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4030&p=44645#p44573), and those files/folders have the proper permissions?

Sorry if I am asking the stuff that you checked already -- or, if on Windows, stuff that you do should not need to check. Troubleshooting can be difficult and annoying.

ST the difficult (but hopefully not annoying)