Having trouble with saves

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
rjceltics

Having trouble with saves

Post by rjceltics »

On both version 0.40 and 0.41, I've had a problem where my two most recent saves output an error message saying:

Code: Select all

Failed to load saved game: ESM error: Expected subrecord ARG_ but got BASE
 File: C:\Users\rjcel\Documents\MyGames\OpenMW/saves\Rhyan\savename.omwsave
 Record: PLAY
Subrecord: BASE
Offset: 0x62cb64
Every save file before the most recent two is always fine, I'm not sure why that is

I googled it, and found an old thread, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3255, where someone was having the same problem, and the fix, which worked temporarily for me, was to use the "Stamina" spell after being cured of corpus disease. I did this, but it happened again sometime after leaving the Ministry of Truth (as the only save I can load is the one from before I entered).

I'm playing on Windows 10, and the only mods I have installed are: Accurate Attack, Better Heads, Epic Balmora, and Signposts Retexured. I also tried reinstalling the game, to no avail. Any help would be appreciated
MiroslavR

Re: Having trouble with saves

Post by MiroslavR »

Please attach the savegame here.
rjceltics

Post by rjceltics »

MiroslavR wrote:Please attach the savegame here.
The site gave me an error "The extension omwsave is not allowed". Not sure if I did something wrong or what. Sorry.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Put it in a .zip file and it should be allowed ;)
rjceltics

Post by rjceltics »

scrawl wrote:Put it in a .zip file and it should be allowed ;)
Ah, should've thought of that. Thanks.
ayyyyy.zip
Excuse the filename... never know what to name the damn things.
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

There is a conflict between the SpellState and MagicEffects deserialization routines due to badly designed format - both use subrecords with the same magic number: "EFID". The bug can occur after getting cured of corprus.

For the time being, I have "fixed" your savegame by removing corprus after-effects (necessary evil):
ayyyyy_fix.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
You should not worry about this bug anymore with this savegame, unless you somehow manage to contract and get cured of corprus again.
rjceltics

Post by rjceltics »

MiroslavR wrote:There is a conflict between the SpellState and MagicEffects deserialization routines due to badly designed format - both use subrecords with the same magic number: "EFID". The bug can occur after getting cured of corprus.

For the time being, I have "fixed" your savegame by removing corprus after-effects (necessary evil):
ayyyyy_fix.zip
You should not worry about this bug anymore with this savegame, unless you somehow manage to contract and get cured of corprus again.

Hey thank you so much! It worked! Do I actually have to worry about contracting corprus again or am I pretty much in the clear?
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

rjceltics wrote: Hey thank you so much! It worked! Do I actually have to worry about contracting corprus again or am I pretty much in the clear?
Yes, you should be in the clear. Of course there could be mods that give you corprus again - personally, I am not aware of any.

Interestingly enough, vanilla content has an NPC that you can contract corprus from (which can potentially break the main quest), but your Corprus Immunity will protect you against it.
lasikannu

Post by lasikannu »

I got bit by the same bug, on version 0.44.
My save file is attached. Could anyone help fixing it or applying this fix: https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/3714
Attachments
Quicksave.zip
The corrupted save
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 124 times