3-8 fps in Sadrith Mora. Physics out the roof

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Jester

3-8 fps in Sadrith Mora. Physics out the roof

Post by Jester »

So i've been using OpenMw for the past couple months with no problems until i decided to join House Telvanni.
The following happens.
Its only an issue in Sadrith Mora. I reinstalled the game and checked it out with vanilla MW ,new installation of OpenMW and even MGSO for the shake of checking it with different mods than the ones im running. Everything but OpenMW runs really good (40-70 fps). I also tried it on various save files both old and new with the only difference being that old openmw saves run at 6-8 fps while the new ones at 9-14 which is equally unsufferable.

Is this a known issue? If so until its fixed can i import the save file in which ive put hard effort on to vanilla ?
DestinedToDie

Re: 3-8 fps in Sadrith Mora. Physics out the roof

Post by DestinedToDie »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696&hilit=sadrith+mora

TL;DR: an NPC is colliding too much with objects and shooting up your physics. OpenMW is not good at handling physics on a low end computer.
Jester

Post by Jester »

DestinedToDie wrote:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696&hilit=sadrith+mora

TL;DR: an NPC is colliding too much with objects and shooting up your physics. OpenMW is not good at handling physics on a low end computer.
I just read through.
So theres no real solution as of yet right?

Should i just kill the npcs with a command or idle them ?

Could this collision fix help ? http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods ... 2306&pUp=1
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

I also get this a lot.
It doesn't happen just in Sadrith Mora, but also whenever I run into some meshes.
DestinedToDie wrote:OpenMW is not good at handling physics on a low end computer.
I don't think that my PC is that slow...

EDIT: typing error
Last edited by jirka642 on 04 Dec 2016, 00:25, edited 2 times in total.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Jester wrote:
DestinedToDie wrote:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696&hilit=sadrith+mora

I just read through.
So theres no real solution as of yet right?
Unfortunately, no. There might be a new guy working on it, but he hasn't logged on for 20 days, so don't get your hopes too high.
Jester

Post by Jester »

jirka642 wrote:I also get this a lot.
It doesn't happen just in Sadrith Mora, but also whenever I run into some mashes.
DestinedToDie wrote:OpenMW is not good at handling physics on a low end computer.
Im also running an overclocked E6700 @3Ghz with 4 mb cache and a 650Ti OC Edition. Its definitely not the hardware but bad coding.

It really put me off the game for now. Is there any way to convert openmw saves to vanilla?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Jester wrote:
It doesn't happen just in Sadrith Mora, but also whenever I run into some mashes.
Im also running an overclocked E6700 @3Ghz with 4 mb cache and a 650Ti OC Edition. Its definitely not the hardware but bad coding.

It really put me off the game for now. Is there any way to convert openmw saves to vanilla?
Yes, it does not seem that powerful hardware fixes the problem. It seems to be very random who gets this problem and who does not. I don't have this problem on either of my desktop PC:s (a more powerful windows PC with an i7 and a Geforce 750ti and a linux based i5 6600T without a dedicated graphics card). And although the latter of my computers only runs the integrated graphics handle the physics correctly, some people with massive overclocked specs get it.

Nope, there are no way to do this, sorry.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Jester wrote:

That CPU is nearly eleven years old. It could well be the hardware in your case.
Jester

Post by Jester »

AnyOldName3 wrote:
Jester wrote:

That CPU is nearly eleven years old. It could well be the hardware in your case.
If you look at its specs its above whats needed to run OpenMW. Hell it holds 60fps in Metro 2033 1080p
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Jester wrote:If you look at its specs its above whats needed to run OpenMW. Hell it holds 60fps in Metro 2033 1080p
That is a bad comparison. This is a big problem when there are a lot of collisions going on. There are more collisions here than in Metro 2033, which isn't an open-world game. A better comparison would be Oblivion, Skyrim, Shadows of Mordor which all have just as much collisions (physics) as Morrowind, if not more.

Our Physics system is based on Bullet which is CPU intensive. We can't use things like PhysX because while they offload to GPU, they are proprietary and we aren't allowed by law to use them.

Bullet will use all the tricks the (flags) that a CPU has, so the more recent CPUs even with lower clocks will perform better in some circumstances.

This doesn't put the blame on Bullet, it's just doing its job. How we go about using it probably can be tweaked. Using Bullet3 might solve some problems for by offloading to the GPU, but then we're just moving the problem.