Water missing in OMW-CS

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
weedfreak

Water missing in OMW-CS

Post by weedfreak »

I have never had a problem with water in MW or in the example suite when playing. I have never seen water in the cs though. I just assumed it was one of the things that is not yet implemented.

This week I noticed in one of the cs video's that water is implemented as d2d pointed out that disabling terrain shows the water layer below. It makes no difference whether I enable or disable the water the water is never visible. Instances.terrain and pathgrid operate correctly, fog is something that I cannot disable.

I cannot find any settings that would have turned the water off permanently, or is it something that has been added since 0.40?
Cramal

Re: Water missing in OMW-CS

Post by Cramal »

Water in the cs is a new features from the 0.40 release.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

From looking at our bug tracker, isn't it a new feature for the 0.41 release?
-> https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/roadmap
-> https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1596
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Yeah, the pull request was merged only until after openmw-40 tag, that is, on the seventh of August.
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

Thanks a lot, it explains things then. Looks like I might need to switch to the git package.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

weedfreak wrote:Thanks a lot, it explains things then. Looks like I might need to switch to the git package.
There are no git packages, just the git repo that you build yourself or use one of the daily builds.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

This feature seems to work in the Ace's nightly builds:
Spoiler: Show
But what about Greendogo's remarks? They didn't make it into OpenMW-CS yet, did they?
Paul McElroy wrote:
  • This should also contain a user setting for disabling and enabling rendering the water.
  • Additionally, it would be visually helpful if in addition to rendering the water as a transparent (light blue?) plane at the water level, if there was also a setting to render the water layer as a flat grid of lines (with an optional and user changeable thickness and color with the line at its center) so that distance to the water surface and distance across the water surface can be visually determined.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Hiding/Showing the water works. I didn't see the need to add sub-modes for displaying the water as a grid, but I'm not against adding a general purpose grid overlay. It's open for discussion.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I don´t really see a use for a water grid. But that´s just me.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Sorry, aesylwinn, that was my bad. I simply ignored the Scene Element Visibility button because it hasn't done anything to water before. :oops:

As for the grid overlay: a general (scalable) overlay sounds like a good idea. If it's not already on our tracker, I will add a feature request as soon as possible. -- What about objects snapping to the grid and stuff? Has nobody given this a thought so far?