Missing model problem

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
weedfreak

Missing model problem

Post by weedfreak » 12 Aug 2016, 09:28

I have been using necessities of morrowind mod for at least the last 10 versions of OMW, up to ver 39.

Today a water well was replaced by a spinning !, checking the log I saw that midevilwell.nif was missing, not sure where it went as it worked OK last week. The well is used by NOM but was not in the mod, I checked the original NoM ver 3 zip d/l and it was not in there either but ir was in NoM ver 2 so I copied the nif to meshes in the NoM folder. The well turned up but was of course not textured, the log listed the two missing textures so I grabed them from ver 2 and put them in the textures folder but the well is still not textured.

The log gives the error

Code: Select all

Error loading textures\rockwalk.tga:  code 1
Error loading textures\wood1.tga:  code 1
which, apart from the backslash, is the correct path, the textures can be opened and viewed outside omw but I have no idea what code 1 error is, or why the model disappeared from one week to the next. Any ideas?

DestinedToDie

Re: Missing model problem

Post by DestinedToDie » 12 Aug 2016, 09:40

You could download Nifskope and use it to open the well.nif, point the right textures to it and see if that solves it. Here´s how it looks.

Btw you say the model is not there in NoM ver 3. The missing model problem might be the due to the mod rather than OpenMW´s fault. Not sure about the textures. I´ve experienced some mods loading their textures fine in vanilla Morrowindengine , but getting pink in OpenMW. But then again the way you use NoM ver 3 and insert a model from ver 2 could mess up the textures, and that could be the cause.

weedfreak

Post by weedfreak » 12 Aug 2016, 11:08

I do not think nifskope works on linux, or am I wrong? It certaimly is not in Arch repositories.

The point is that NoM worked fine for over a year, the model displayed correctly even though it was not in the mod. I was searching on nexus and found someone else who had the same problem and they cured it the same way, copy the model and two textures from ver 2 into version 3, well they were using bethesda's engine so it just went into the data folder, I put them in the NoM data folder.

Agreed it is probably not an omw problem, but omw does give the vague error code 1 message.

silentthief

Post by silentthief » 12 Aug 2016, 19:07

weedfreak wrote:I do not think nifskope works on linux, or am I wrong? It certaimly is not in Arch repositories.
As far as I know, you are correct. I will not outright state that it doesn't -- but I will say that I've never gotten it to work, nor have I found a solution on how to get it to work.

Would be nice though if it did.

ST the windowz hater
"You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?."

johndh

Post by johndh » 12 Aug 2016, 21:30

I've gotten NifSkope to run on Wine to the extent that it opens and can load a model, but I don't know enough about how to use it to verify if any other features work properly.
Free/libre assets for OpenMW, updated frequently: http://opengameart.org/content/openmw-s ... sibilities

Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic » 12 Aug 2016, 22:18

johndh wrote:I've gotten NifSkope to run on Wine to the extent that it opens and can load a model, but I don't know enough about how to use it to verify if any other features work properly.
It works as intended. At least it did in April, and I don't think Wine has any regressions concerning this matter.

scrawl

Post by scrawl » 12 Aug 2016, 22:25

No need to use wine. Nifskope can be compiled for Linux.

silentthief

Post by silentthief » 13 Aug 2016, 21:56

Thanks Scrawl -- I had not looked into this in a while (was trying to run an older version of windows Nifskope which did not seem to want to work under wine).

I will try to compile this and get it running in Linux, and I can let anyone know how this works.

ST
"You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?."

weedfreak

Post by weedfreak » 14 Aug 2016, 11:18

Scrawls suggestion to resave the files via gimp solved the problem and Nom now works as intended.

I would be interested in getting nifskope to run though, the nif tools site(s) are diabolical, sourceforge sends you to github which says the d/l is on sourceforge which . . . ad infinitum. I did get the code eventually but cannot get it to compile, so any help there would be appriciated.