Installing OpenMW on a Raspberry Pi 2

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Installing OpenMW on a Raspberry Pi 2

Post by psi29a »

Already addressed in the FAQ, s3tc software decoding is not going to happen until the patent expires.
MetaCthulhu

Post by MetaCthulhu »

Pi 3 came :D . I made a mistake somewhere in the texture-decompress-operation, so I'm missing a few more textures than usual (including the ones for the settings menu :? ). Anyway, I did some benchmarks since I had it up and running.

(All of these with default settings, in windowed mode, with the full overlay up)
COCed to Balmora, and flew over the city, averaged ~9 FPS
Went into a nearby building, averaged ~40 FPS ( I went into a different building later with only the FPS counter up, and got 55+ FPS!)
Just wandering around Balmora and the surrounding wilderness, averaged ~12-22 FPS

I have some screenshots of the locations and overlays if any of you are interested, and overall I'm pleased as Punch. I'm planning on a re-install later to fix the texture issue, but if you guys want any tests done I'll hold off for a while.

I'll do a more complete set of benchmarks once I redo the textures (hard to benchmark without a settings menu ;) )
Inertsquirrel

Post by Inertsquirrel »

I wanted to order the Pi 3 but it was out of stock everywhere. I did install OpenMW on my Pi 2 though. I used mechanizeddeath method for the texture issue. Scrawl mentioned a BSAtool that comes with OpenMW. I tried to use it but really didn't know where to start. I found that most of the iron textures were pink. Like iron candles, parts of the barrels. I also found that inside the cave almost all cave wall textures were pink. Did anyone here use the BSAtool method find that these textures were pink for them too or was it a problem on my part? Also if someone could explain how to use the tool it would be much appreciated.
MetaCthulhu

Post by MetaCthulhu »

Inertsquirrel wrote:I wanted to order the Pi 3 but it was out of stock everywhere. I did install OpenMW on my Pi 2 though. I used mechanizeddeath method for the texture issue. Scrawl mentioned a BSAtool that comes with OpenMW. I tried to use it but really didn't know where to start. I found that most of the iron textures were pink. Like iron candles, parts of the barrels. I also found that inside the cave almost all cave wall textures were pink. Did anyone here use the BSAtool method find that these textures were pink for them too or was it a problem on my part? Also if someone could explain how to use the tool it would be much appreciated.
I think it has to do with the textures the compressenator skips over. If you go over to your log file, ( "/home/pi/.config/openmw" in the file manager) it should say which textures weren't loaded (error loading "texture": no s3tc support!) and then you can unpack the bsa again, decompress those textures by hand with Gimp or the like, repack the bsa, and try running it on the pi again.

I have a feeling all the textures that aren't decompressed on your end are the same ones as on mine, but I'll have to do some more research later.