Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Locked
User avatar
Gramblosh
Posts: 69
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 20:15
Location: Germany
Contact:

Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by Gramblosh » 14 Nov 2014, 14:22

Yesterday I ran into a bug in the Tribunal Main Quest (TR09_Journalist) in the German localization, using --script-verbose I could track it down further

Code: Select all

compiling script: JournalistPals
compiling script: VarisDead
error line 2, column 27 ([)
    Unexpected keyword
compiling failed (dialogue script)
player->removeitem gold_001 3000

additem gold_001 3000

Journal TR09_Journalist 60[

Goodbye
Searched my data files and it is in Tribunal.esm, so no mod error. Is that to be reported in the bug tracker? I cannot remember such an issue when using the vanilla engine.

User avatar
scrawl
Posts: 2152
Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 11:51

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by scrawl » 14 Nov 2014, 14:44

Journal TR09_Journalist 60[
Oh boy, zini is not going to like this one.

User avatar
Zini
Posts: 5536
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 15:16

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by Zini » 14 Nov 2014, 15:34

Yeah, report it on the tracker and assign it to me. If that were a 3rd party plugin I would tell the author to fix their bloody script, but in this case that is obviously not an option. Will have to figure out a workaround.

User avatar
Gramblosh
Posts: 69
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 20:15
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by Gramblosh » 14 Nov 2014, 15:55

Done https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2126

Searching tribunal.esm for a 0[ pattern I found at least four such cases in dialogs... would be intersting to know if it also happens in the English localization, I only have the Morrowind Patched esm here.

User avatar
Zini
Posts: 5536
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 15:16

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by Zini » 15 Nov 2014, 10:04

Workaround is in master now.

EvilEye
Posts: 10
Joined: 12 Feb 2014, 13:45

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by EvilEye » 15 Nov 2014, 14:04

Gramblosh wrote:would be intersting to know if it also happens in the English localization, I only have the Morrowind Patched esm here.
My English GotY Tribunal.esm doesn't have a [.

User avatar
Gramblosh
Posts: 69
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 20:15
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by Gramblosh » 15 Nov 2014, 14:09

Zini wrote:Workaround is in master now.
Thanks. I will try as soon as possible, still have a save there.
EvilEye wrote:
Gramblosh wrote:would be intersting to know if it also happens in the English localization, I only have the Morrowind Patched esm here.
My English GotY Tribunal.esm doesn't have a [.
That's interesting, thank you. There are a few differences in that translated master files I still don't understand at all...

User avatar
scrawl
Posts: 2152
Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 11:51

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by scrawl » 15 Nov 2014, 14:31

That's interesting, thank you. There are a few differences in that translated master files I still don't understand at all...
Yeah. They managed to screw up a lot in the different localisations.

I recall a dialog script in the french version where they "translated"

Code: Select all

player->additem "gold_001" 1000
into

Code: Select all

player->additem "gold_001" 1 000
meaning the player would only get a 1 gold instead of 1000 gold reward (of course, the 000 at the end was just silently ignored by vanilla's script engine).

The fact that scripts have to be translated at all is kinda hilarious too, they just went with it instead of building proper localisation support into the engine first. Anyway, I digress.

I'm sure we'll continue to find more of this stuff. Thanks for finding this one and keep looking out!

User avatar
Gramblosh
Posts: 69
Joined: 30 Sep 2014, 20:15
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Bug in Tribunal Main Quest

Post by Gramblosh » 15 Nov 2014, 18:41

I am mainly interested in the differences between different localizations to find a way to auto-translate files at least to some point. The Fix-Wie-Nix translator is nice but it's databases contain a few bugs and their format is not very user-friendly and it cannot translate interiors really properly. It's no problem as long as only new items were added to an interior but as soon as an item was moved or deleted or scaled or whatsoever the translation breaks. Example: you have a male guard and replace it with a female guard with the English master file than translate it to German you will end up with a male and a female guard. In the German version the male guard has a different ID as the one in the English version, so when you simply translate the cell the deleted guard does not exist (causing an error) and the existing one does not get deleted. Looks like instead of simply translating the original cell they made a copy and translated that one. Very smart idea :roll: I have written a little Perl script that at the moment can at least handle a few cells in a tes3cmd dumb of an esp already pretty well but it's a large amount of data and I am not an :ugeek: but it's a nice project to see what someone with a bit of brain and limited knowledge in Perl can do. Bad thing is that you always have to start from scratch with such things cause virtually all the knowledge or at least a lot of knowledge that was there 10 years ago is gone and some stuff that is available can't be read/undrestood due to limited language skills in Russian or whatever.

Locked