Sneak & critical hits

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Xelasarg

Sneak & critical hits

Post by Xelasarg »

Following Greendogo's advice (wrong thread, sorry for spamming...), I'll post my issue here:
Seems like critical strikes don't work anymore. No matter what I do, my character only does normal damage.
(for clarification: this only applies to ranged weapons, melee works.)
I just googled and found this on UESP (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Stealth): "The critical damage that applies to a hit done while undetected is 4x damage with a melee weapon and 1.5x damage with a ranged weapon."
I started a new game in vanilla MW, cheated sneak & marksman to 100, and slaughtered some mud-crabs. With melee weapons (dagger), the game echoed "critical hit", and the crab died with one hit.
Then I equipped my bow and tried the same. Without sneak, the crabs survived my first attack with about 20% health. But when I fired the bow in sneak mode, they died instantly - even though MW did not tell me I had landed a critical hit (tried this about 10 times to make sure). So I guess that's where the x1.5 multiplier applies: not quite critical, but cowardly out of the shadows, and therefore at least 50% more lethal.

Now, OpenMW doesn't seem to apply any multiplier, damage is just the same whether I sneak or not.
Is there anything that can be done about it? Thanks in advance!
Okulo

Re: Sneak & critical hits

Post by Okulo »

Does anyone know if something needs to happen to this issue before it gets its spot on the bug tracker? Does it need any further investigation or confirmation?