Water tweaks?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Xelasarg

Water tweaks?

Post by Xelasarg »

Hey folks,
I was just wondering if there's a possibility to do something about how water is displayed? I do like the OpenMW looks better than the "quicksilver" water of vanilla Morrowind, but IMO it's too transparent. Right now, it's as if I were looking into a bathtub, I think that e.g. rivers shouldn't be so crystal clear. Can I adjust transparency values somehow, without having to change the OpenMW code?
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Re: Water tweaks?

Post by Chris »

Xelasarg wrote:Hey folks,
I was just wondering if there's a possibility to do something about how water is displayed? I do like the OpenMW looks better than the "quicksilver" water of vanilla Morrowind, but IMO it's too transparent. Right now, it's as if I were looking into a bathtub, I think that e.g. rivers shouldn't be so crystal clear. Can I adjust transparency values somehow, without having to change the OpenMW code?
Thanks in advance!
Enable reflections for terrain and statics, in the options menu. The (likely) reason it's so clear is because it has nothing to reflect, so it's just showing what's underneath.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

Turning on both reflection and refraction fixes the too-transparent water for me.

This is what the water in OpenMW looks like for me with:
Reflection off (Refraction doesn't seem to do anything without reflection)
Reflection on, reflect terrain on, reflect objects on, reflect actors on, and refraction off
Reflection on, reflect terrain off, reflect objects off, reflect actors off, refraction on
Everything on
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Thanks for your answers. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. The big lakes look alright as long as I don't look down at the water directly in front of my feet.
But it doesn't work at all when it comes to rivers. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate the issue, taken right to the south of Balmora - as you can see, the water is completely transparent (never mind the colours, that's Vibrant Morrowind v4.0 plus I edited most textures to make Morrowind more eye-friendly ;) ).
Could this be an issue with my laptop's crappy Intel HD graphics chip? The shaders seem to work alright, and vanilla Morrowind looks just like it should. :(
Attachments
screenshot000.jpg