Can't open Morrowind

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
sveinung

Can't open Morrowind

Post by sveinung »

Hi!
I have just installed both Morrowind and the OpenMW Launcher.
Everything seems okey until I press play in the launcher.

Terminal
sveinung@sveinung-W740SU ~ $ omwlauncher
Loading config file: launcher.cfg
Loading config file: /home/sveinung/.config/openmw/launcher.cfg
Loading config file: /home/sveinung/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: openmw.cfg
Loading config file: /etc/openmw/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: /etc/openmw/settings-default.cfg
Loading config file: settings-default.cfg
Loading config file: /home/sveinung/.config/openmw/settings.cfg
./openmw: error while loading shared libraries: libOgreMain.so.1.8.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Why doesn't libOgreMain.so.1.8.0 exist? I thought I got it when I installed the launcher.
Using Linux is new for me, so this might be a very noobish question.

Edit:
I'm running Linux Mint 15 btw
Okulo

Re: Can't open Morrowind

Post by Okulo »

This seems familiar. Probably has to do with this thread.

For shits and giggles, try running this in your Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -sf OGRE-1.8.0 OGRE-1.8.1
It creates a link under the 1.8.1 name that points to the 1.8.0 files, so when OpenMW tries to load OGRE, it will be redirected to the correct location for the files.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Woah there... the fix that was recently pushed to Ubuntu was because a mistake in Ogre3D for the Ogre 1.8.1 package. The 1.8.0 that it is trying to load won't exist, so that symlink will not likely help.

Is Ogre installed and what version? Do we have any other Mint users?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

BrotherBrick wrote:Is Ogre installed and what version? Do we have any other Mint users?
Yes, I use Mint and the above worked for me. Ogre was already installed for me when I ran into this, iirc. I'm not sure how much greener sveinung is at Linux compared to me, though - I've only been using Linux for the past three months or so, so I'll gladly defer to the wisdom of more experienced users. :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

His binary is looking for libOgreMain.so.1.8.0 which I find odd. Did he compile it himself? For the past couple of releases we've been using libOgreMain.so.1.8.1 so this is really interesting.

The bug you pointed to is that libOgreMain.so.1.8.1 is in the right place, but the libs (opengl renderer and etc.) exist in 1.8.0 directory and a 1.8.1 symlink is a quick fix to get around it.

Mint 15 is based on Ubuntu Raring which uses libogre-1.8 (1.8.0) which indicates to me that the lib should exist if installed. However, our releases on Raring use our libogre-1.8 package (1.8.1) and asks for libOgreMain.so.1.8.1

What OpenMW release are you using and where did you get it? Generic tarball, debian deb, ubuntu deb or self-built?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

BrotherBrick wrote:What OpenMW release are you using and where did you get it? Generic tarball, debian deb, ubuntu deb or self-built?
Not sure if you're talking to me or sveinung, but I was building from source. I figured I might as well learn how to do it.
sveinung

Post by sveinung »

Thanks for the response!
No I'm not a skilled Linux user at all, I've only been using Mint for the last month x)

The installed openMw version is: 0.27.0-1-raring2
No I didn't compile it myself, just added the PPA and installed it within the terminal.

I can locate the file libOgreMain.so.1.8.1 in the "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu" folder. So it seems a little strange to me that the binary is looking for libOgreMain.so.1.8.0.