OpenMW on Ubuntu 13.10

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
jvoisin

OpenMW on Ubuntu 13.10

Post by jvoisin »

Hello,
I recently switched to Ubuntu 13.10, and wanted to compile and launch openmw on it.

I installed libogre-1.8-dev, libmygui-dev, git-cloned the repo. I launched cmake and make, and everything went fine until the linking phase:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld.bfd.real: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.8/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2.a(SDL_x11clipboard.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XConvertSelection'
A bit scary, but a "-lX11" somewhere in the cmakefile and it linked successfully.

I tried to launch ./openmw, but it told me that I had configuration concerns. I launched ./omwlauncher, but it told me:

Could not select a valid render system
Please make sure the plugins.cfg file exists and contains a valid rendering plugin.
I crafted a openmw.cfg by hand:

data=../data
resources=./resources
master=../data/Morrowind.esm
But:

$ ./openmw
Loading config file: ./openmw.cfg... done.
Using default (English) font encoding.

ERROR: RenderSystem with name OpenGL Rendering Subsystem not found, make sure the plugins are loaded
What should I do ?
Zini

Re: OpenMW on Ubuntu 13.10

Post by Zini »

First don't create an openmw.cfg file. You don't need to and your's is also wrong. For most settings the default file should do the job and what is missing will be added by the launcher in the user openmw.cfg file.

Second, this is odd. IIRC we don't use a plugins.cfg anymore. We do seem to have references to it in the source though. Someone needs to clean that up.

Third, OpenMW/the launcher can't find the OGRE plugins. I don't know why, but maybe your installation of OGRE is broken.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Saucy is currently untested (by me). I'll do some real testing when Ubuntu reaches beta1 on August 29th. Until then... use at own risk.

32/64 builds for saucy already exist on ppa, please test those first.

Note: Saucy has OGRE, mygui, bullet and sdl2 so there shouldn't be any need for third-party (our PPA) to build and run these.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

I'm not using the ppa at all.

When installing openmw directly from the repo, I still get this message:

Could not select a valid render system

Please make sure the plugins.cfg file exists and contains a valid rendering plugin.