Help I'm an idiot (I can't install it)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Akia

Help I'm an idiot (I can't install it)

Post by Akia »

I've never tried to install a PPA before and I'm really not sure what I'm doing, I wouldn't normally even attempt this if it weren't for the fact I miss playing Morrowind due to my lack of working disk drive. I think I've installed all the PPA launcher things, and I put something into a notepad window that popped up when I pasted something into terminal (yeah, I really have no idea what I'm doing) and now I can't find any more instructions on how to launch it or if I've even actually installed it. I have a million updates for something but I'm stuck. Help?

Should probably mention I'm running Ubuntu 12.10
K0kt409P

Re: Help I'm an idiot (I can't install it)

Post by K0kt409P »

1. Begin by verifying that you have successfully added the ppa by running this command:

Code: Select all

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
One of the results should be "openmw-openmw-quantal.list". If it's there, proceed to point 2. If it's not there, go to point 1b.

1b. Add the OpenMW ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openmw/openmw
sudo apt-get update
1c. Install OpenMW:

sudo apt-get install openmw
2. Verify that OpenMW has been successfully installed:

dpkg --get-selections | grep openmw
If the output is exactly the following, proceed to point 3:

openmw					   install
openmw-data				 install
openmw-launcher			install
If the output is anything else, go to point 2b.

2b. Reinstall OpenMW:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove openmw
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install openmw
Go back to point 2 to verify that the installation went well.

3. Run OpenMW:

omwlauncher
You will get an error message stating "Error detecting Morrowind installation". Do not be alarmed, this is perfectly normal. Press the "Browse..." button and navigate to the directory containing the file "Morrowind.esm" and select it. For example, if you have morrowind installed in Wine via Steam, this file will be located in "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Morrowind/Data Files/".

You will be asked if you wish to import settings from Morrowind.ini. Select "Import", otherwise OpenMW will not work. You do not need to check the box "Include selected masters and plugins".

4. The OpenMW launcher window should open. Switch to the "Data Files" tab and check the box to the left of "Morrowind.esm".

5. Click "Play".

That should be it. Please feel free to ask for further directions if you encounter any problems with these directions.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Wrong subforum!

Besides, very detailed description. Maybe would you like to add this to the wiki?
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

sirherrbatka wrote:Besides, very detailed description. Maybe would you like to add this to the wiki?
Sure, I'll add it to https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ntu.29_Way later today.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Topic moved to support subforum.
sirherrbatka wrote:Wrong subforum!
SirHerrbatka, instead of yelling, next time please just move the topic, ok?
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

K0kt409P wrote: Sure, I'll add it to https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ntu.29_Way later today.
And done. I left out the steps for verifying the installation, since those shouldn't be necessary if you follow the instructions.
Akia

Post by Akia »

Unfortunately, due to a lot of hardware deaths over the past few months, I don't actually have Morrowind installed on anything atm to get the files off and I really can't afford to buy it off Steam, is there any other way I can go about getting the file I need? Could I take a copy of it off a friend's computer, would that work?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Akia wrote:Thanks :)

Unfortunately, due to a lot of hardware deaths over the past few months, I don't actually have Morrowind installed on anything atm to get the files off and I really can't afford to buy it off Steam, is there any other way I can go about getting the file I need? Could I take a copy of it off a friend's computer, would that work?
Sorry, but:
FAQ wrote: This website does NOT distribute any game data or other copyrighted content not owned by the author. You MUST own a legal copy of Morrowind before you can use OpenMW. We absolutely do NOT support or condone pirated versions of the game.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

If you still have your original copy of Morrowind on a disc somewhere It's possible to extract the necessary files from there. See https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ux_Install