install openmw/morrowind on ubuntu from CD

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
mkborregaard

install openmw/morrowind on ubuntu from CD

Post by mkborregaard »

Hi,
I'm trying to install Openmw to play Morowind on Ubuntu 18.04.1. Openmw installs fine from the ppa, but when I try to run the installer it asks me to select the installation media. I refer it to the cd (it's a windows CD GOTY edition), but the installer fails to accept my selection and the installation fails. I've also bought the game on Steam, but can't get it installed. Any help? In the old days you'd use wine to launch steam, but now it's native to linux.

A link to any installation instructions I may have missed would be highly appreciated - afaics there are no explicit installation for linux (other than installing morrowind via wine, which is impossible I guess because the wine Steam would clash with the system native Steam.

Thanks!
LoneWolf

Re: install openmw/morrowind on ubuntu from CD

Post by LoneWolf »

It sounds like you tried to use the CD as existing installation, but with a CD you need to choose "Install Morrowind to a New Location" .

Check https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... files.html for details
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

Thanks for the response, LoneWolf, but I did choose the CD as "Install to a New Location", not as the "existing installation" option. Is it correctly assumed that I should just be able to navigate to the cd drive and press "Open" and that should be it? The failure could be due to expecting a certain type of file in the folder, associated maybe with a different version of the CD?

Also thanks for the documentation page, which I had found on my own, but doesn't seem to detail how to get Morrowind onto the computer.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I regularly comment for ubuntu troubleshooting, but I never got the install to work without installing via wine, then using the launcher to pull from that install. Perhaps the installer needs looking into (or perhaps I simply did not know how to work the installer properly)? I own the GoTY disk set for Morrowind, and I always installed via wine then ran the openmw launcher which was able to detect it.

ST the wine-r
PS - I know that my reply doesn't help, but hoping someone can give more info on this
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I know innoextract is a requirement for it to work, so either the Ubuntu PPA is built without it or it's found at runtime and you need to install it as its own package.
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

Thanks guys. I tried installing innoextract, but it did not make any difference.
I managed to solve it like this:

1. Uninstall Steam
2. Download SteamSetup.exe and install it with wine
3. Install Morrowind from Steam
4. Copy the Morrowind folder into my home folder
5. Use Wine to uninstall Steam again (also uninstalls Morrowind)
6. Reinstall native Steam
7. Install from OpenMWLauncher using my copied Morrowind folder as an "existing installation"
8. Profit

Should there maybe be a description of this under the readthedocs installation instructions?
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

If this should be added to docs I'm happy to open a PR
quazgar

Post by quazgar »

I had the same problem on Ubuntu 20.04, but the German Ubuntu wiki (in German) helped: The DVD must be mounted with the nohide option, so what I did:

Code: Select all

sudo umount /media/quazgar/Morrowind
sudo mount -t udf -o ro,nohide /dev/sr0 /mnt
Then choosing /mnt as the source in the installer worked! Of course the DVD must be unmounted with sudo umount /mnt afterwards.