Bug tracker Editor category usage different?

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Jyby

Bug tracker Editor category usage different?

Post by Jyby »

I'm trying to find all features/bugs/tasks related to the editor in our bug tracker. I haven't determined the right search criteria, but what I noticed is inconsistent use of the category options (editor component vs editor framework). Can someone explain to me what the purpose of both are and if they provide any advantage over just an "editor" category?

In terms of a comprehensive search for editor related tickets, it would be wise to just have one category assigned to them.

Thanks
Jyby

Re: Bug tracker Editor category usage different?

Post by Jyby »

Or, not sure how this would impact everyones workflow, could we create a new project OpenMW-CS and move all the editor tickets there? This would probably be the best solution IMO

Edit: An advantage would be not having to write "Editor" or "OpenMW-CS" in front of each ticket. The disadvantage would be compiling the change log to include "OpenMW-CS", unless someone personally scrubs it (like raevol?)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Maybe not what you wanted to know but I've always asked myself why it it so difficult to put "OpenMW-CS:" in the issue's headline. I prefer to always add "OpenMW-CS" or "OpenMW" respectively -- if the issue is even more isolated, a hint to the affected part of the software may also help, e.g., "OpenMW-CS, script editor: ..." or "OpenMW, Control Settings: ..."

Currently, it's a huge challenge to work through the roadmap in order to produce a release commentary (or, in raevol's case, create a change log). And the headlines being ambiguous is only one part of the puzzle.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

I think creating a new project, "OpenMW-CS", would solve many issues. The big issue you pointed out is vague and non specific issues. Because we have shared resources between OpenMW and OpenMW-CS we need a way to address tickets concerning both products. For example there exists a bug related to handling deleted cell references that pertains to both OpenMW and OpenMW-CS.
Zini

Post by Zini »

In the early design stage of OpenMW there was a pretty clear distinction between the components (editing functions/panels for individual records/record-tables) and the framework in which these operate. Its not as clear cut now and the usefulness of the two categories has diminished. I would not object to having them merged into one. However that would have to be done on the backend/database/maintenance level (not sure if that is doable). Merging by individually changing every issue category is just a no go.

We decided to not have a separate project because there is a large amount of overlap between OpenMW and OpenMW-CS (obviously since both projects share quite a bit of code). Also, the plan is still to keep OpenMW and OpenMW-CS releases in sync (even if we have to make an exception for 1.0). Doing that with two different projects on the tracker just means more work.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Who's the maintainer of the bug track? Could you set that up for us and I'll categorize any editor bugs not categorized I see.
Zini

Post by Zini »

lgromanowski does all our server stuff. However you should be able to change categories anyway.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Ok I PM'd him with the migration request
sjek

Post by sjek »

would vote for single interface. doing cross checking can be tedious at time. simpler solution would be making choise about openmw or openmw-cs mandatory.

on version checking and going trouhgt those all unlisted needs to be done anyway before 1.0
maybe placing redefined filters for issues but also maintaining those requires code knowledge and can be hassle but would work as indication
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

I'll merge it at Monday

// Edit: 'Editor - component' and 'Editor - Framework' categories has been merged into one 'Editor'