New OpenMW-CS Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
BlueFootedBooby

Re: New OpenMW-CS Icons

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

Lamoot wrote:Thanks! :)

2-eyed frog is creature type, while 3-eyed frog is leveled creature list. Though seeing it now, it might be better to do it as with the container and add a ? symbol to the frog rather than a third eye.
What about a frog overlapping with a not-frog, like a bear or something? The thing that's missing from the tri-frog (adorable though it is) is the list concept. I think you'll only really need to see part of the frog face for it to be obviously a critter.

Or maybe the dotted outline of a frog with a question mark in the center?
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Thank you for your suggestions, but I don't see them working within the limited 16x16 pixels space, combining multiple meanings or adding special line effects. For this particular icon I'm set on having the frog head with a question mark.

The frog signifies a creature (thus connecting it to the creature record type) and the question mark is shared between the two "leveled list" icons to signify random result. The editor always shows the icons with the record's name anyway, so there won't be any confusion.

For the last category, the top level records, I have roughly half of the designs decided on, the rest I'm still heavily prototyping.
top_records_wip1.png
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

The last category of Top Level Records is finished, meaning all the editor icons are now done!

Creature leveled list is changed as well.
The attachment levelled-creature-new.png is no longer available
I'm attaching the latest collection of icons and source files.
Attachments
levelled-creature-new.png
levelled-creature-new.png (689 Bytes) Viewed 11427 times
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Great work, Lamoot.

The "Enchantment" and "Magic Effect" icons are a hard guess though. The rest of the icons are easy to understand.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Thanks!

For me, it's the "magic effect" that's least clear, but I see how the enchantment is a tad random as well. I'll try to tink of something else, or if anyone has any ideas, those are welcome as well. Good to hear the rest of them make enough sense.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Is there a specific reason why these aren't yet implemented? Although somewhat WIP, I wouldn't mind them replacing at least the placeholders right now.

Icons editing-terrain and editing-pathgrid feel like superb replacements for placeholders already. Editing-instance is going to need some more icons to signify whether we are moving, rotating or scaling. I did make some fundamental ones for editing-instance just to replace placeholders, but these will obviously be better than mine when finished.

edit: oh, I didn't notice, you HAVE made transform-move, transform-rotate and transform-scale -icons too!
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

I changed the placeholders in OpenMW-CS to these new icons. Didn't make any icon overhaul though, so still most of these are unused. Made a pull request here.
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1643
lysol

Post by lysol »

Personally, I think I've changed my mind now. Since lamoots icons are complete for all required icons in the CS, I think we should make them the default. And then, if we someday get a change theme-feature, the old icons can be found there as an optional choice. I like both icon packs, but only one is complete...
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

I still can't find the icons for selection modes (centred cube, cube corner to corner, centred sphere), but new set is indeed more complete.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

unelsson wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 12:55 I still can't find the icons for selection modes (centred cube, cube corner to corner, centred sphere), but new set is indeed more complete.
Yes, according to Lamoot's user page, these three are still missing. @Lamoot?

Anyway, I agree with you, lysol and unelsson: We should consider using this icon set by default. - I know that Zini objected to this in the past, but that was before Lamoot finished the rest of the icons.