New OpenMW-CS Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
ThezKing

Re: New OpenMW-CS Icons

Post by ThezKing »

Hey there, Ive created a branch and replaced the icons. Bus because I cant create pictures out of blender yet, I just wait here for the light & scene view status icons.
Also I just took the A view-icons yet, waiting for never some :)
By the way, may you forgot it, but we need also a mask.png -> Image
Here you can see what I've did.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Heya,

My vote is on option B as it brings no regressions and doesn't cause extra work for something that is already implemented. Whatever available manpower is better spent on missing editor features.

@ThezKing:
The mask is probably not necessary. New icons use greyed out elements to show what is enabled/disabled. On the left of the screenshot are different states of exterior icons with enabled/disabled elements.
http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=108100

Other than that, I've been busy this last month and will continue to be until February when we release our game. I might find time to continue my work before that, but can't give guarantees so close to a release.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

There's no progress without a proper todo list. Should make it easier to keep an overview of what's still required.
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=User:Lamoot
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for the comprehensive icon list. I look forward to the list filling with new icon images!
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Yup! Half of the motivation comes from filling the list :)

Anyway, made a few new icons and finished the set of modified status icons. The attached .zip contains all of the source files as well as all of the icons produced so far, so people can use them without needing to go through Blender.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Looks great! Keep it up! :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Good work, Lamoot. However, I had problems guessing the meaning of the "Icons" icon. What do you think?
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Thank you for the encouragement and feedback. I find especially useful when I throw the icons into the wild without explanation and get fresh-eye results on how they communicate their meaning. I'll put the "Icons" icon on the list for potential future review then and see if a better idea pops up.

To keep in mind, one thing is immediate recognizability, another is being unique enough among other icons. "Icons" icon perhaps lacks in the former, but is sufficiently different from the rest of them, so the user doesn't confuse it with another. It's an approach I take, but by no means an excuse not to improve them :)

On another topic, checking out the existing icons on git, I see they are mostly sized 32x32 pixels, while I've been making them 16x16, as that's how they appear in the editor on my screen. Does anyone know whether the icons change their size depending on the screen resolution and would 16x16 then be too small for those with larger resolutions?

The way they're set up, it's not a problem to render them out at double the resolution for higher DPI screens, but it's something I've been wondering about lately.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Lamoot wrote:To keep in mind, one thing is immediate recognizability, another is being unique enough among other icons. "Icons" icon perhaps lacks in the former, but is sufficiently different from the rest of them, so the user doesn't confuse it with another.
Absolutely right.
Lamoot wrote:On another topic, checking out the existing icons on git, I see they are mostly sized 32x32 pixels, while I've been making them 16x16, as that's how they appear in the editor on my screen. Does anyone know whether the icons change their size depending on the screen resolution and would 16x16 then be too small for those with larger resolutions?

The way they're set up, it's not a problem to render them out at double the resolution for higher DPI screens, but it's something I've been wondering about lately.
Check out this thread for more information: Scene Toolbar Icon Request (p. 3ff).
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Can't we support some kind of vector-based icon format so the UI can be scaled according to what the OS suggests? A cursory googling suggests that Qt has some functionality by which allows icons to be loaded as SVG, and then rendered to a raster image at runtime (as using the SVG directly could be slow). The way I see it, there's not a huge advantage to not using this strategy if it's simple - all the icons I've seen look like they were vector graphics at some point, and it makes everything more future-proof.