New OpenMW-CS Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Lamoot

Re: New OpenMW-CS Icons

Post by Lamoot »

Rather than add, I prefer to tweak what's already there. Previous eyes were facing straight forward which didn't give any depth or direction and the orbit was flat as well. The eye is moved back as suggested and along with mentioned changes I'm quite happy with the result.

In addition the scene-view icons are ready. As always they could use a few extra tweaks, but that's for later. Attached are the changed .blend file which can be used to render out the icons.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Nice work, Lamoot! The only thing that bothers me is the fog overlay for the Scene view icon. It may be a bit to simple to get its meaning.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Thanks!

I'll see what I can do with the fog at the next iteration. The current one might indeed be just a bit too abstract.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We have a PR now for these icons. It needs cleaning up and while this is happening we should discuss what to do with it. This is a decision I don't want to make alone.

Our options are:
a) Replace the old icons with the new ones
b) Move the new icons into a separate branch in the main repo and keep them out of master for now. We can merge them later when we have a full set (including the icons still missing in the old set)
c) Put the PR on hold and wait for someone to come along to investigate theming in Qt so we can have both variants.

I am somewhat more inclined to do b or c. Opinions?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I would choose B.

I was surprised to see a second set of icons when we already had a first set, but they look good so props for putting effort into them. However I feel like priorities could be better elsewhere than switching icons(a), implementing duplicates (c). I would rather wait for a full set (b) for later and get some more important OpenMW-CS features for now (doormarkers?) so that modmakers would have the basic necessities they need.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

DestinedToDie wrote:I would choose B.

I was surprised to see a second set of icons when we already had a first set, but they look good so props for putting effort into them. However I feel like priorities could be better elsewhere than switching icons(a), implementing duplicates (c). I would rather wait for a full set (b) for later and get some more important OpenMW-CS features for now (doormarkers?) so that modmakers would have the basic necessities they need.
Seconded. I vote for option b).
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

I like option A. The new icons look pretty good. B works as well.

If C, we should create a feature ticket in the bug tracker.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Jyby wrote:I like option A. The new icons look pretty good. B works as well.

If C, we should create a feature ticket in the bug tracker.
I agree on option B too, but I also agree that there should be a feature ticket in the bug tracker for themes in the CS. Maybe set the target version to OpenMW-future?
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

I would go for option B and C.

Currently the icons in the CS have been made by numerous people, myself included. They are all done with different styles and themes, and are all quite mismatched. I wanted to replace all the icons with a consistent style personally but I don't have the time so I wouldn't be able to finish. Whilst these icons look great and will fix the issue, if they aren't complete they would just make things worse in the short term.

At the same time theming seems a no brainer as well, so C.

Also I haven't downloaded OpenMW before my PC died half a year ago, but I remember there wasn't an option to scale icons. If it's there then ignore this, but otherwise its something worth looking into as well.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

lysol wrote:set the target version to OpenMW-future?
Yes