Configurable Keybindings (and missing shortcut keys)

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
aesylwinn

Re: Configurable Keybindings (and missing shortcut keys)

Post by aesylwinn »

That's a neat idea that would make switching between set control schemes easier. However, there would still be the question of what is used as the default configuration. Also, I think the setup I have makes it pretty easy to change the configuration (though I'm clearly biased here). I don't expect people to change the control scheme that often, so I think it over-solves the problem.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Maya control scheme is:

* Rotate view - ALT + LMB
* Pan view - ALT + MMB
* Zoom view - ALT + RMB

Then for selection and manipulation LMB is used, while RMB gives you a context menu. Same view controls are default in Unity engine, while Unreal Engine and Godot have a preset to switch to Maya scheme (UE has its own default, Godot uses Blender's default).

I come from Blender, so naturally that's my preference. For the sake of comparison here's a list of its main 3 view controls

* Rotate view - MMB
* Pan view - SHIFT + MMB
* Zoom view - CTRL + MMB

However, I won't mind any default as I can always adjust them to my needs.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

+1 for Blender control scheme.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Unfortunately, Shift + MMB conflicts with the Shift + WASD movement keys, so the blender option is out. I'm reverting back to the previous defaults.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We can replace shiftt for fast movement with something else. Doesn't have to be one of the standard modifier keys anymore with the new system, right?
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

The reason for changing to the blender control system was to make the controls more familiar. I would argue that using Shift for speed modification is even more well-known and used than the blender controls, which is why I did not immediatly take that route. However, I personally don't care. I really think that someone should just set up a poll for this. :lol:

Edit: Using Ctl + WASD would conflict with saving (Ctl + S). That leaves Alt if we want to stick to traditional modifiers. I personally hate the Alt modifier, so I would prefer not to.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's the default sprint key in Skyrim, so it's not a crazy choice, even if a bit of a nuisance.

Blender actually has separate modes for using WASD for moving the camera and for using the controls already described. This comes back to another point in favour of presets - we could have multiple (potentially partial) solutions and switch between them with hotkeys.