Editor 3D Camera

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
aesylwinn

Editor 3D Camera

Post by aesylwinn »

A couple questions.

1. From various comments, I'm picking up that at one point the view was only updated when the camera was moved. This does not currently seem to be the case since the framerate display fluctuates when the camera is stationary. Also, in certain areas I can see animated textures. Are there plans to change back to that sort of system?

2. For the camera input, the current design of the system seems to limit it to mouse events. Would it be acceptable to use keyboard input while the mouse button (as defined by "p-navi" or "s-navi") is held down?
Zini

Re: Editor 3D Camera

Post by Zini »

1. I consider the persistent update a bug. I thought it was fixed, but apparently not.

2. I am not sure what you mean? Could you elaborate?
wareya

Post by wareya »

Does 2 refer to things like panning while strafing?
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

2 would involve strafing. I was trying to ask if there are any global shortcuts that would break if I were to intercept keyboard input. I was also wondering if there was a reason for why the current settings for "p-navi" and "s-navi", the 2 input events already designated for navigation, only accepted the left, ctrl + left, right, ctrl + right, middle, and ctrl + middle mouse clicks.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Still not clear what you mean. There are keyboard shortcuts for strafing in some of the modes.

If you mean instead of pressing a mouse button hold down a key on the keyboard (e.g. assign p-navi to space), there is no specific reason for this not being part of the concept, except that it is extra work and we don't have configurable key-bindings yet. I was planning to add this feature after 1.0.
If you want to go ahead with it I have no objections.
Zini

Post by Zini »

btw. if you are going to use the main mouse input system for the camera too (instead of the osg build-in solution) I suggest you merge my move branch into your feature branch first. There have been some changes in this area and we should try to avoid unnecessary merge conflicts.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I went ahead and merged your move branch. Will I need to do something special when I make a pull request?

In regards to configurable key bindings, I'll concentrate on the camera system for now, but I'll put in some placeholders allowing it for the other controls.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I went ahead and merged your move branch. Will I need to do something special when I make a pull request?
Nope.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

For osg, is there a way to disable animations, particles, and anything else that would be forcing the camera to update every frame?
Zini

Post by Zini »

No idea. @scrawl ?