Feedback required: double click in tables

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Re: Feedback required: double click in tables

Post by Zini »

Okay, done.

The default configuration is:
- double click: edit in place
- shift double click: open dialogue subview
- ctrl double click: open view
- shift-ctrl double click: open dialogue subview and then close the table subview

I think this is a reasonable default that will match the workflow of many people. But of course everyone is free to remap these functions.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Zini wrote:- double click: edit in place
Double-click is generally used to open a new window/tab for more in-depth work in most apps. Inline/in-place editing is usually done by single-clicking an already-highlighted entry.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I don't remember having ever seen this behaviour and certainly none of the applications I have currently on my system behave that way.

Besides, that sounds like serious trouble. What do you do if you want to edit a cell that is currently not selected? Click it once to select it, wait to avoid triggering a double click and then click it again? That's just asking for trouble.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I've seen that specific behavior somewhere before, Windows renaming works that way.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Isn't Chris talking about the behaviour such as the search bar (e.g. firefox), excel spreadsheet, etc where you click and start entering data?