Manual & Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Manual & Icons

Post by sirherrbatka »

Here, and there. And everywhere. Thanks for link :-)
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

I would like to try to contribute to this part of the project - manual/tutorials for the CS.

Most of my time will probably continue to be spent on mod compatibility testing, but this does bring me into contact with the CS as I try to work out why mods don't work in OpenMW.

It seems to me that there are two part-finished CS Manual projects:
The "old" one, at http://downloads.openmw.org/opencs-manual/main.pdf - linked on the download page.
The new one at "https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable ... index.html - doesn't appear to be linked anywhere obvious.

There is a wiki page at https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... -CS_Manual, not linked from the Wiki front page - it is virtually empty, except for a link to the "old" manual.

Unless anybody objects, I propose to start by improving the WIki - linking the front page to the CS manual page, and extending the CS Manual page to link to the "New" manual.

Loriel
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

This would be greatly appreciated! In discussions with scrawl and psi29a, we've pretty much decided that all manuals should be kept off the wiki. The proper place for all of this would be in the "new" documentation. Our reasons mainly come down to difficulty of maintaining updated documentation in multiple locations and confusion that inevitably comes from this. It also makes sense because apart from editing, manuals shouldn't need to change unless more features are added or modified, so the development team has more control. Don't let this scare you though. It sounds like the wiki does need to be modified, but apart from updating the links to also point to the RTD set of documentation, you should be focusing on the RTD documentation itself. The syntax for this is, mostly, very simple and can easily be learned in a few hours. You should probably ask any further questions in the documentation subforum. Let us know if you need help with anything!
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

I will go ahead with that now.

It sounds as if the rest of the wiki page for the CS probably wants clearing - perhaps put in some other relevant links there.

I've cloned the repository, and started looking at the source for the documentation. I'm not familiar with the markup language, but it doesn't look difficult to grasp.

I've started by finding and correcting typos etc in the existing text. Not familiar with Github either, so I need to work out how to do pull request when I'm ready to have it reviewed.

As you say, further discussion should probably move to Documentation subforum.

Loriel