Manual & Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Manual & Icons

Post by Zini »

Yes, this topic again. Unfortunately we have once again no one working on the OpenCS manual and the making of icons is also lagging behind. Anyone?
sirherrbatka

Re: Manual & Icons

Post by sirherrbatka »

I will start working on a manual again. I can spend 1 hour per day at most on it so don't expect anything amazing.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

sirherrbatka wrote:I will start working on a manual again. I can spend 1 hour per day at most on it so don't expect anything amazing.
If there is anything I can do to help with the manual please let me know.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Write it? Or at least a part of it? You would have to coordinate that with sirherrbatka. There is plenty of information about OpenCS here in the forum and there is also the OpenCS build to play around with. And of course we are available to answer any questions regarding the functionality of OpenCS.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Well, any help is welcome because currenly manual is in state of misery.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I was going to start by correcting the spelling. grammar and syntax errors in the current version, but it seems there have been more changes to it since it was added to the wiki, but I cannot find anyway to see the file let alone edit it.

Looking at the forum thread it seems you have chosen some obscure method of creating a simple manual, perhaps a reason why people are not getting involved in improving/creating it??

Why not a simple solution of creating on the wiki? Anyone could read it as it grew and add stuff, it would then be a simple matter for one or two people to convert things into a consistent style. I am able and happy to do that as I worked for many years as a proofreader and copy editor.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

LaTeX is hardly obscure. The manual is edited via .tex-files available in the git repo: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/tree/m ... ual/opencs
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Well it is pretty obscure to me, I did use it about 12 years ago but saw no advantages of it. I am fairly sure 90% of computer users have never heard of it.

I have already visited the link you posted and saw things there that are not in the current end user download, I have no idea how to view the documents as documents let alone edit them or add new ones. I have wasted hours and still have no idea where to start, in that time I could have rewritten what there is already in correct English and possibly have added another chapter.

Having vented my frustration at the chosen system I would point out that almost nobody involved in the choice has contributed to the manual and those that did have done nothing for a year, the chosen method is obviously not working. I would like to propose a wiki based manual, initially using the current content as a start point but rapidly adding placeholder pages for more topics and trying initially to catch up with current development then trying to update and add chapters with each release.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

Tinker wrote:I have no idea how to view the documents as documents let alone edit them or add new ones.
Assuming GNU/Linux:

Code: Select all

pfdlatex main.tex
Then open the resulting pdf in a document viewer of your choice. Editing can be done in any text editor, like emacs or vim.

Your other points remain, of course. I personally have no strong opinion either way (wiki-based or LaTeX), since I have little to contribute to the manual. English isn't my first language, so I can't really help with proof-reading, and I have never even opened TESCS, let alone used it for modding. I have played around with OpenCS briefly, but most of the time I had no idea what I was looking at.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I would point out that almost nobody involved in the choice has contributed to the manual and those that did have done nothing for a year, the chosen method is obviously not working.
That is not correct. The person who wrote most of the manual is also the person that suggested this approach. And he did not work much on the manual since then, because we was crazily busy with writing code for OpenMW.