3D editing

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
cc9cii

Re: 3D editing

Post by cc9cii »

Also missing object rotation. Don't get how that will work, either. Is the mouse drag meant to rotate the object around a particular axis? If so world or screen coordinates, how do we change between x, y, z, etc.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The actual editing functions are a separate issue from the mouse picking. We need to go over the whole editing again anyway, because currently it does not integrate with the selection system. I suggest to put rotation off until later.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

The pathgrid table is hiding the pathgrid column - how do I unhide it? It is also makred not editable, should that be changed?

EDIT: looks like some columns might be missing, like vertices and edges?
Zini

Post by Zini »

These are parts of the record that will not be shown in the table, because of their variable length nature. They will be available only in the dialogue subview. This will also require some adjustments to the way we handle the data structures. sirherrbatka started to work on this feature a while back, but he never got around to finish it.
Until that is taken care of pathgrid eidting is of the table.

btw. I though again about the rotation problem. We should base the rotation on the orientation of the camera by default. But when axis locking is in effect we should instead operate in object space. I am choosing object space over worldspace here, because most models have an inherent orientation that the user will need to work with on occasions.
Ideally I would like to offer both options (worldspace and objectspace), but we are running out of mouse buttons and keys.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

A question about the new Edit Modes please:

I've noticed that we now have pathgrid edit mode and several terrain edit mode buttons. What I don't understand is what the pathgrid edit mode is meant to do. Is it meant to give a different behavour to reference (object) editing? If so what are the differences? In my mind pathgrid editing at a base level is no different to reference editing, i.e. add/delete/move

I guess there are minor difference like rotation and snap to ground (if accepted as an option) but I'm not sure if that warrants a separate editing mode.

Anyhow, I can still go ahead and implement the pathgrid edit mode if I know how it should be different to the object edit mode.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Pathgrid editing mode is used to edit the pathgrid. If not in pathgrid editing mode pathgrid elements must be ignored by mouse picking. And also on existing pathgrid editing mode all selected pathgrid elements need to be deselected.
Same as with reference editing mode. If not in reference editing mode, references must be ignored by mouse picking.
ThezKing

Post by ThezKing »

So whats the state with implementing delete-key in Scene mode?

Also, is it possible to highlight the selected Instance of Scene mode in the Instances-Table and backward too?
Zini

Post by Zini »

So whats the state with implementing delete-key in Scene mode?
You mean a keyboard shortcut for deleting instances? Wouldn't be hard to add, but we currently don't have anyone working on this part of the editor. Also, we decided to wait with assigning more keyboard shortcuts until we have a full list of all functions that need shortcuts.
Also, is it possible to highlight the selected Instance of Scene mode in the Instances-Table and backward too?
This feature does not exist currently.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right thread or tackling something that's being discussed somewhere else, but I just started looking at the editor and I think the camera in 3D editor needs some improvements:

- Orbiting mode changes the camera roll, that's bad. Roll should never be changed (just like in any other 3D editor) unless intentionally wanting to, i.e. Q/E keys are OK. Here's a fix:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/apps/opencs/view/render/cameracontroller.cpp b/apps/opencs/view/render/cameracontroller.cpp
index 7b802b0..0cfca7d 100644
--- a/apps/opencs/view/render/cameracontroller.cpp
+++ b/apps/opencs/view/render/cameracontroller.cpp
@@ -673,6 +673,7 @@ namespace CSVRender
     {
         osg::Vec3d eye, center, up;
         getCamera()->getViewMatrixAsLookAt(eye, center, up);
+        up = osg::Vec3d(0,0,1);

osg::Quat rotation = osg::Quat(value, up);
         osg::Vec3d oldOffset = eye - mCenter;
@@ -685,6 +686,7 @@ namespace CSVRender
     {
         osg::Vec3d eye, center, up;
         getCamera()->getViewMatrixAsLookAt(eye, center, up);
+        up = osg::Vec3d(0,0,1);

osg::Vec3d forward = center - eye;
         osg::Quat rotation = osg::Quat(value, up ^ forward);
- The FOV is too narrow, there needs to be a setting for that, and maybe optionally to switch between perspective and orthographic (for modders who need to precisely align things). Also would an option to change FOV with some mouse combo, like SHIFT + wheel or something, be good or bad?
- I can rotate with LMB and strafe/translate with CTRL+LMB, which is very good, but I can't change between rotating and strafing just by pressing/releasing CTRL, i.e. I have to release mouse, change CTRL state and press mouse button again to change between these two modes. I feel it would be better to allow just the change of CTRL pressed state to change between these modes. The reason is I do a lot of rotation translation moves in order to get to given position and having to do this with a mouse button and a key which have to be pressed/released in correct order is very difficult and I basically cannot coordinate my hands to do that. Having to deal with one button only would be a huge improvement to me.

Are these known issues or something being on the table?

EDIT: I've made a PR.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

About hotkeys for Instance editing:

Delete instances hotkey
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/2678

Should we have x, y and z keys for locking axis in object movement and rotation?