Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Shnatsel

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by Shnatsel »

water+bridge+pathgrid.png
water+bridge+pathgrid.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
water+bridge+pathgrid+fog.png
water+bridge+pathgrid+fog.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
11.svg.gz
source SVG, Inkscape recommended for editing
(12.27 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
This has to be prettified a bit, the white stripe at the bottom sticks out too much. Any comments on the direction in the meanwhile?
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Zini wrote: For the naming scheme something like this would be useful:
SceneElement_x.png
where x is a number composed by adding the shown scene elements (references: 1, terrain: 2, water: 4, pathgrid: 8, fog: 16), so for example terrain and water would be:
SceneElement_6.png
Oh, a bitfield. I don't think I can make those easily in BASH scripts, so I'd rather use one-letter coding, with T for terrain, W for water, etc. In this case the entire thing would be called "SceneElement_TWRFP.png". You're welcome to rename them any way you wish at the end of the day :)

I've just realized that another useful thing you could do via alpha-blending in place is making the icons on the togglebuttons contextual to the current state. For example, with everything but the fog enabled the fog toggle icon would look like this:
fog_toggle_default.png
fog_toggle_default.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 7593 times
But if the user disables display of references too, the icon would turn into this:
fog_toggle_nobridge.png
fog_toggle_nobridge.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 7593 times
I think it would be nice to always show the current state on the left and what clicking the button would do on the right.

(Do we need stronger fog over terrain too, by the way?)
Zini

Post by Zini »

You're welcome to rename them any way you wish at the end of the day
Sure. No problem.
I've just realized that another useful thing you could do via alpha-blending in place is making the icons on the togglebuttons contextual to the current state. For example, with everything but the fog enabled the fog toggle icon would look like this:
I think that would be more confusing than helpful. Let's stick to showing a single element on the toggle buttons.
(Do we need stronger fog over terrain too, by the way?)
Actually, that looks okay to me.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Zini wrote:Let's stick to showing a single element on the toggle buttons.
Like this?
bridge.png
bridge.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
terrain.png
terrain.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
water.png
water.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
pathgrid.png
pathgrid.png (747 Bytes) Viewed 7554 times
fog.png
fog.png (825 Bytes) Viewed 7554 times
The sky looks overly saturated to me, looks like I'll have to tone it down. I can't leave the elements without a background because the button background color is not predictable and may make the elements illegible, the pathgrid and fog especially.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Like this?
Yes.
The sky looks overly saturated to me
A bit, maybe.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

The saturation helps bring out the fog effect. If it's already desaturated, some people with poorer eyesight may have some minor difficulty seeing the colors. TBH the quality in these icons in superb. I can only give my own opinion, but the style itself seems great atm.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Mistahtokyo wrote:The saturation helps bring out the fog effect. If it's already desaturated, some people with poorer eyesight may have some minor difficulty seeing the colors. TBH the quality in these icons in superb. I can only give my own opinion, but the style itself seems great atm.
This is a good point.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Agreed.
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

Mistahtokyo wrote:I can only give my own opinion, but the style itself seems great atm.
Seconded, those icons are amazing 8-)
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Mistahtokyo wrote:The saturation helps bring out the fog effect. If it's already desaturated, some people with poorer eyesight may have some minor difficulty seeing the colors.
Good point! I've checked and this is indeed the case, so I left the sky saturation as it is. Thanks!

I've also checked how the icon looks for people with the most common colorblindness condition (Deuteranopia) that affects 8% males, and turns out the pathgrid is completely illegible. I've sort-of remedied it by giving it a darker stroke, but it didn't really fix the problem. See for yourself: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/100162
I've simulated Deuteranopia via Color Oracle.

The only solution I'm aware of is making the pathgrid stop triangles blue, both in the icon and the editor. They are quite illegible in the editor itself: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/100159
Should I open a bug about it?

Here's how the current version looks:
default.png
default.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
everything.png
everything.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
Attachments
12.colorblind.2.svg.gz
(12.33 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Last edited by Shnatsel on 14 Nov 2014, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.