Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by Zini »

This is probably a cultural thing and somewhere in the world there will be someone protesting that the old version was better. But considering where most of our target audience is located, I agree that this change makes sense.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

I think it's more about the modified state in the icon being right next to the actual state of the scene view ;)

Right now the icons are slightly optimized for left-to-right reading, which is why instead of simply flipping the scene view icon I've masked the other half and re-generated the entire set. OpenCS UI layout itself is also optimized for left-to-right reading somewhat - controls on the left of scene view, etc. So for RTL languages just flip the entire layout along with icons and you're done :P

I've edited the arrows on the icon a bit to look better on their own, without the grid:
release.png
release.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 16691 times
And opened a pull request with flipped scene view icons plus the addition of this icon: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/930

Same naming scheme as with scene view icons. First (highest) bit is the grid, second one is for arrows and the last one is for cell marker.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Thanks.

I'm a bit busy right now, so I won't get around to handle the PR and swap out the button until the weekend or maybe even Monday. If any other developer wants to have a shot at it, please be my guest (a good task for newcomers, of which we seem to be getting some recently).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Merged. Now we only have 3 buttons with the "No icon yet" icon (plus whatever the not yet implemented edit modes will add). None of them are at a point yet where adding the icons makes sense. I'll get back to you once the implementation has advanced further. Thanks, again.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

I was going to drop by and ask if the OpenCS tools have advanced to a point where drawing the rest of the icons would make sense. But then after looking up git history it turned out that all my icons have been replaced by another matched set, so I guess my stuff is no longer needed. Looking forward to seeing the new icons in the next OpenCS release video!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Shnatsel wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 01:58 I was going to drop by and ask if the OpenCS tools have advanced to a point where drawing the rest of the icons would make sense. But then after looking up git history it turned out that all my icons have been replaced by another matched set, so I guess my stuff is no longer needed. Looking forward to seeing the new icons in the next OpenCS release video!
This was done mostly because that set was almost complete already, so the change made sense because of that. Can't speak for the project of course, but I still think a "theme" function post 1.0 would have been awesome, so if that is on Zini's plan, then your icon set would be a great candidate for an alternative theme. :)
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

I'm not a fan of icon themes in OpenCS for several reasons:
  1. The icons should be clear and not distracting. As long as they do that, there's no reason to change them. OpenCS is about productivity, not eyecandy.
  2. Having people use alternative icon themes may be confusing. Imagine watching a tutorial video / dev stream / etc of someone using an alternative OpenCS icon set. The viewers would be confused why the icons are different from theirs and what those icons mean.
  3. Maintaining several icon themes is a burden. It would either make changing anything with icons X times more work for X supported icon themes, or each next release would ship with just one icon theme and the rest would maybe-hopefully update later. Neither of these options is particularly pleasant, or worth the hassle.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I agree with Shnatsel: One fitting icon set is enough. We should encourage new users to adapt to OpenMW-CS's controls and visual guidance concept, not allure them to change every part of the editor to their habits the instant they start their first project.
However, future OpenMW forks or whole OpenMW game projects would be able to customise the editor's appearance to their taste, anyway.