Record Cloning

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Re: Record Cloning

Post by Zini »

The record we are getting the ID from is the new one, that just has been created. This is the copy that exists outside of the container. Therefore the newly created record in the container needs to have the same ID.

The procedure is:
- Get the ID of the record to be inserted.
- Create a new record with this ID and store its index.
- Copy the record to be inserted to that index.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ah, I see. I'm wonder why we are not simply inserting already created record directly.

Anyway: it seems that I need to create new method in collectionbase: clonerecord that will ask data containers to create copy of the record, change it's id and insert. Is that correct?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Ah, I see. I'm wonder why we are not simply inserting already created record directly.
To keep the RefIdData interface minimal. We would need a separate function to create a new non-empty record. With the current implementation this function is not needed.
Anyway: it seems that I need to create new method in collectionbase: clonerecord that will ask data containers to create copy of the record, change it's id and insert. Is that correct?
Yes, that is the obvious way to do it. I was considering if it is possible to implement cloning without extending the interface of CollectionBase, but that is probably more trouble than it is worth.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Right! Sorry for those questions, I just don't feel quite selfconfident when facing OpenCS ;-)
Zini

Post by Zini »

No problem.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

hey, ArgumentType (in UniversalId) stores information if record is indexed or has any unique id, right?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Right.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Hello, I have another silly questions ;-)

Cloning works now for single record type collections, however I need to alter mId of References and Referencables (multi-type ) tables records and to that, It seems i have to cast those to appropariate classes. I can do this with simple if/else stairway, but I'm wonder if we have more convienient way of doing this.

PS
Also, where do we handle automatic index generation?
Zini

Post by Zini »

References are not multi-type.

For referecenables RefIdAdpater might help. There is currently only a function for getting the ID, but you should be able to add one for setting the ID.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

ok, thanks. Can you also provide any hint for the PS question?