Item status being wrongfully listed modified in vanilla CS

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zedd

Item status being wrongfully listed modified in vanilla CS

Post by Zedd »

Trancemaster_1988 voiced his concerns about items being faulty listed modified in the vanilla editor. This apparently happens when one presses the save button in the property window of the item even though no changes were made. I don't see any reason why we would have this behavior in OpenCS but I just wanted to ask for a confirm as part of the costumer service ;).
Zini

Re: Item status being wrongfully listed modified in vanilla

Post by Zini »

Well, we don't have a save button. You need to explicitly modify some of the data for the record to be flagged as modified.

However that is not much of a problem with OpenCS anyway. We are indicating very clearly what records are modified, at some point we will provide a way to get a list of all modified records, so you can check if you accidentally modified something and we also offer the revert function, which returns a record to its unmodified state.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

trancemaster_1988 wrote:

Well I can't register cause I have no other e-mail adress but hotmail lol. However with that said I wish to reply to "Zini" somehow.

I'm aware that there's no "save button" in OpenCS and I don't think "explicitly modify" as true in this case. Lets say I do the following:

1. I select the spell window.
2. I double click the "cost" field for "wrath of odos", but without changing the variable, then I move on to check another spell.
3. It's now listed as modified even though I didn't actually change something.

This is why I see it as troublesome. Sometimes you just click the wrong field, then it will forever be listed as modified. Sure it's great with a tool that will make it easy to remove records that you don't want to be edited, however it can get nasty if you're dealing with hundreds of spells.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is an interesting point. Originally the implementation was checking if the new value was equal the original unmodified value. I removed that because it seemed a bit too limiting and potentially problematic. Maybe we can instead check if the newly modified value is equal the current value and if so ignore the change command. I would still like to have a way to explicitly mark a record as modified, but that can be handled by a new "Touch" menu item in the context menu. Will give it some thought.