Startup Window - Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Re: Startup Window - Icon Request

Post by Zini »

I understand the idea of placing the most used icon the closest to the left, but I think that once people get used to clicking the the right-most icon because they use OpenCS a lot, the time spend between going to the right with your cursor or not will be nullified anyway. The thought of placing Edit Addon left-most and New Game right-most just seems structurally wrong to me.
Actually, by the time the user has reached this amount of proficiency with OpenCS, he will probably just press the return key (we have nearly full keyboard support after all). Anyway, do we have anymore opinions on left-to-right vs right-to-left? If not, I will invert the order. Not particularly invested in this aspect of the layout.

btw. it is "Edit Content File", not "Edit Addon". Editing for games and addon share the same UI and therefore also share a button.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Preferences, I agree with a cog.

Editing, I would go with a wrench and nut or something very similiar.

For new game, I would go with a book titled "In the Beginning" Something like leather bound rotated off center a little(so the book is not perfectly straight)

Creating a new addon. Well the best I can think of here is using an icon depicting like a desk with a blueprint and pencil, a kind of DeVinci's workshop look.
Zini

Post by Zini »

For new game, I would go with a book titled "In the Beginning" Something like leather bound rotated off center a little(so the book is not perfectly straight)
That is a neat idea. However I am not sure, if this would transfer well into a small file type icon. Also, English text is a big NO NO. We can hardly expect our icon makers to localise their work.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Zini wrote:
That is a neat idea. However I am not sure, if this would transfer well into a small file type icon. Also, English text is a big NO NO. We can hardly expect our icon makers to localise their work.
Is an alpha-sign (as "the beginning") international enough?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Nice, but too generic. We need something MW specific. Can we add the MW icon to the cover in a way, that also works at a small scale?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I think We can add a morrowind star there. I need to make one in inkscape, can take some time to get it perfect.

Blue color also does not quite work here. I made this for myself from other icon (GPL so it is ok) for folder-books, so that's why it is blue.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That would perfectly for the startup window button. The question now is can we also make that into a file icon.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

We can't make it work for both large and small sizes. To demonstrate the problem:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/289 ... ranu20.png

Book logo is just black shape. But folders look good. I'm kinda lazy, and don't care about things that I don't use, and so I ignored the need for very large folders. So…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/289 ... ranu21.png

For icon we can use just logo.