Icons: Visiual Metaphors

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Icons: Visiual Metaphors

Post by sirherrbatka »

One more idea.

We can go with very schematic and abstarct icon. 4 blue squares for referencables, 1 blue square with 3 semitransperent squares for reference.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

We require icon to visiualise multi-type icon. Some kind of open box is what it comes to my mind.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

For now I would just “steal” gnome icon for archive: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/02/12/gnome-mim ... on-zip.png

Objections?
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

sirherrbatka wrote:A little. But we can replace book icon for books and scrolls with a scroll icon.
I don't think this is a good idea. A user who wants to do something with books is thinking about books. With books on the brain, I'd bet you money that even knowing what the icons mean users wanting to mess with books will periodically click the book by mistake. It's like that trick where you have someone name a zillion things that are orange and/or start with 'C' and then ask them to name a vegetable, and like 80% of the time they say "carrot."

You could also think of it as a deceptive use cue. Analogy: the building where I work has doors with pull bars on both sides, and then little signs on the push side that say "PUSH." About once a week I try to pull instead of push, and everyone I've talked to has the same problem. Even when you see and read the sign, even when you use that door literally every day visual recognition of the pull handle is faster than reading words or recalling memories.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Good point.