Icons: Current Set

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
sirherrbatka

Re: Icons: Current Set

Post by sirherrbatka »

thanks.

Drum with "soundwaves" please.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Small checklist here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/289 ... level.html

I tagged soundgen as done but that speaker needs to be replaced.

Since looooooord zini wants to push some kind of demo for opencs soon we need to be a little more effective. I'm a little short on time at the moment but if you can't make all icons I can go back to inkscape.

Going with few placeholders is not that bad either. Majority is done afterall.
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

That may be for the best. I've just had a lot on for the past few weeks and there's no sign of it slowing down :(
Zini

Post by Zini »

First iteration of a record table with status icons (courtesy of graffy):
Screenshot.png
We are probably going to reduce the gap between the left border and the icon. Other than that the layout is more or less final.

And I am sorry to say that, but I don't think it works too well for me. The white symbol on the black background just looks odd. Opinions?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I think that this symbol should be placed right.

Anyway, I think that actually icons does not work here at all. We can use underline, bold, and crossed out text instead.

Added: bold+underline
modified: bold
del: crossed out
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Underlined text looks awful on print and screen. I'd say italic for modified and bold for added, or the other ways around, replacing underline with italic.

EDIT: One of the rules for typing in LatTeX we were told was never to underline text. For ephasis the \emp command produces text in italics (or normal if the surrounded text is already italic). We use underlining for handwriting because it's the easiest way of emphasising, but you will never see underlined text in print, unless it is part of some convention, like underlining to differentiate vectors from scalars.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I agree with Zini, the black and white symbol looks awful; sorry. It should just be the symbol, either black or appropriately colored on the white background of the table.

Also, Zini, it looks bad to have the text next to the symbol. The whole point of a symbol is to convey meaning without words.

I think the symbol should be in its own column to the far left or right of all the columns.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The idea here is to have the column configurable, i.e. you can either have text or an icon or both.

Different styles for the text are a complete no go, because it wouldn't be obvious what they mean. Also, that would lock out the icon only mode, which we definitely want to have (for the sake of compactness mostly; an icon takes a lot less spaces than the text).
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:The idea here is to have the column configurable, i.e. you can either have text or an icon or both.
Ah, right, you told me this before.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ok, I removed the background. Hopefully this will be enough.

Opinion please.