Icons: Current Set

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zedd

Re: Icons: Current Set

Post by Zedd »

What about making a separate column for the icon itself. I personally can't stand it when optional icons mess up the alignment. Or we have an icon for each state, or we make a separate column for those items that need a special icon, preferably placing it in front of the line.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Having two columns for the record state would be pointless, because they would both contain the same information. That's why this column will be configurable. If you don't like the icon plus text combination you can simple configure it to either text or icon.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@zini

Do you think that monochrome symbols with removed background can be kept?
Zini

Post by Zini »

As a first iteration. I am not convinced that they are visually distinctive enough. But we have to try that out. I suggest you send graffy a pull request (to his recordStatusDelegate branch), so he can include these changes with the other modifications I requested.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ok i pushed. Hopefully correctly.

I think that adding colors can help.

Added = green
Modified = yellow
removed = red

Any opinions on it?
Zini

Post by Zini »

I agree about adding colour (in a non-mandatory way). Not so sure about the colour selection. Yellow on white?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

yellow with black border. I will try my best to make it visible.

EDIT
I think it will be ok.
graffy

Post by graffy »

I'm in the midst of sorting through some signalling issues, trying to get the user settings code to talk to the editor view / subview code...

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my two cents in. As I was testing the record status delegate code, I was of the opinion that the visual effect of the icons with borders was too much - borderless shapes seem to be a better way to go (to echo a previous comment). I have not merged the new icon set yet as I want to get the coding done for Zini's other requested changes first, so I have no comment on the colors.

Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but was a shape ever decided for the "base" status? I would recommend something like a triangle or circle - simple, nondescript, and generally without obvious meaning - sort of saying "it just is." I don't think it really matters what's used, except that it ought to be consistent with the other icons (simple shapes), yet visually distinctive.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but was a shape ever decided for the "base" status?
Nothing at all.
graffy

Post by graffy »

K. I move we make it a simple shape - circle, triangle, etc., if only for the sake of consistency with the other status cases...