Icons: Showcase

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
PeterBitt

Icons-split

Post by PeterBitt »

Ok so I spend an hour on putting a few very rough icons together: http://www7.pic-upload.de/28.03.13/akq4nluusqr.png
Just so you get an idea on the direction I would take. Keep in mind that this was done in less than an hour (I had to tab-out often when my chef passed by :lol:) so with a little feedback and time the results will be much different from that.

I am having a problem with the amount of icons tho, especially those:
3b. and once for each referenceable record type:
- Static
- Door
- Misc
- Weapon
- Container
- Creature
- Light source
- NPC
- Armour
- Clothing
- Repair Tool
- Activator
- Apparatus (alchemy tool)
- Lookpick
- Probe
- Ingredient
- Book
- Potion
- Levelled Item
- Levelled Creature
Isnt that a bit to much? Whats wrong with the way its done in vanilla CS? In my opinion text is perfectly ok for those. If you really need icons for those, I strongly suggest to double the icon size as 22x22 is to limiting for so slight differences (e.g. lockpick and probes). At least for me as I am no pixel-artist, I am quite good at Photoshop tho and am hopefully able to adapt to pixel design and create some good icons. Let me know if I should get into that serious now, thanks!

EDIT: changed link
Nomadic1

Re: Icon emblems

Post by Nomadic1 »

Dunno if you have a use for any of these (they aren't done in the same style as sirherrbatka's) but they are yours if you want them.

Personally I don't think you need to make icons look as though they are in subset groups. If you've put icons in and it gets confusing then yes, but otherwise it seems like extra complication that isn't really needed.

But perhaps the simplest and clearest way to distinguish them would be to put a small circle or something in a corner to represent the world objects, etc. If you did them the same colour, it might make it hard to tell them apart if you get a lot of them.
Attachments
Icons.zip
(87.46 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@Nomadic1

I like your icons.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I have to agree, and these are definitely the best icons posted here so far in my opinion. Please continue!
(Minor side note, I'm not sure what the gem.png icon would be for, as they are technically ingredients).
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Yes, those icons are sadly better then my own :(
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

sirherrbatka wrote:@Nomadic1

I like your icons.

Yes, those icons are sadly better then my own :(
thanks and lol. I wouldn't say that - they're just a different style to me.
scrawl wrote:I have to agree, and these are definitely the best icons posted here so far in my opinion. Please continue!
(Minor side note, I'm not sure what the gem.png icon would be for, as they are technically ingredients).
Keys, Soul Gems, Pots and Coins are four types of Misc items ;) Only one of the four seems likely to ever get used. Truthfully, the gem was just to see if I could do something like that and I learned a lot from making it.

IMO different icon options means greater flexibility for developers of the interface. Don't feel like that if you would prefer to use an icon for something and one isn't made you've got to go with a Plan B - get an icon made if you think it will be better.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I think that We can use this icons, maybe along with few of mine (ingredients.svg, repair.svg, static.svg). I encourage you to make more! You are brilliant! :D
Nomadic1

Post by Nomadic1 »

sirherrbatka wrote:I think that We can use this icons, maybe along with few of mine (ingredients.svg, repair.svg, static.svg). I encourage you to make more! You are brilliant! :D
Alright, I'll see what I can do :D
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Try to make armor, crature, leveled creature, npc, probe, lockpick and probe, clothing, leveled iteam, container (i did one but i want to scrap it), alchemy apparatus (i did, but It's not that good) and we will have a majority of referancable stuff.
PeterBitt

Re: Icons

Post by PeterBitt »

And here is what I got so far:

I would like to defend the choice for that button look as I think its intuitive and appropiate for drag & drop items - that purple star alone without a surounding shape would let me think that its just a pretty icon, with the box I know that I can do something with that.

Icons with 22x44 are not possible at all right? I think the following icons would fit the 3a category quite well, at least some of them:

Those are also very quickly done!